how many Buster issues?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

hankshanklin

Re: how many Buster issues?

Post by hankshanklin »

Phoenix wrote:
klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:Well, I didn't buy them when they first came out, but I only need 6 more issues to complete the set...
So when you get the remaining six, KP, as you are confident that you will then have the full run, counting a double issue as two issues how many issues will you have? Your answer should put the matter to bed.
Don't you mean counting a double issue as a single issue? There's only one issue, regardless of it's size, so why count it twice? (i think there were 4 double issues, 2 in 1970, 2 in 1994).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

a double issue is one comic one issue.I think only one double issue in 94 and i think the other was the last one of 93 carrying over into 1st week of 94 so i have that as 1 less issue in 93 with both years only having 51 issues.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:So when you get the remaining six, KP, as you are confident that you will then have the full run, counting a double issue as two issues how many issues will you have? Your answer should put the matter to bed.
big bad bri wrote:a double issue is one comic one issue.
Fine. Let's try again. So when you get the remaining six, KP, as you are confident that you will then have the full run, how many issues will you have? Your answer should put the matter to bed.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue. hankshanklin has the number right in his spreadsheet.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

big bad bri wrote:a double issue is one comic one issue.I think only one double issue in 94 and i think the other was the last one of 93 carrying over into 1st week of 94 so i have that as 1 less issue in 93 with both years only having 51 issues.
Sorry, that's what i meant, didn't quite explain it to make sense. It was the new year issue 93/94, so we're both right, but you're more right than me.

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

Thanks klakadak, it's good to know that between us we got there.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Grand Comics database is frustrating. It gives 1906 issues but has them listed numerically even though it was never numbered. Which means if I want to provide a scan of a certain issue I have to first work out which number it is. I am registered with GCD but there is no e-mail address to contact them and make them aware of this spanner in the works. If you look at the Lion they have it listed by date (apart from the earliest issues which were numbered).

I'd like to know where GCD got the number 1906 from?

hankshanklin

Post by hankshanklin »

It's probably because of the 4 double issues. I don't know if they're actually labelled as double issues (i know there was a Whizzer & Chips that had 2 dates on it, & was labelled as a double issue). If an issue has 2 dates on it's cover, it's feasible that both dates were counted.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue.
Well there you go! That is the very matter I have been trying to clarify. If a double issue is double dated it is two issues in one, and therefore I would count them as such. The reason the publisher felt it necessary to produce the double issues, (strike, shortage of paper, weather conditions etc.), is in a way neither here nor there. The fact is that the two issues that they decided to issue as a double, with the two relevant dates, were effectively two single issues in one wraparound. The key fact to remember is that both of them had already been printed. Now obviously I'm not telling anybody how to count the issues of Buster in their collection, but I would have to count all the double issues as two issues.
stevezodiac wrote:I'd like to know where GCD got the number 1906 from?
Presumably, Steve, they have counted each double issue as two singles.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

glad that's all sorted now.thanks guys.I had a count up today and i own 1,224 so i only need 678 which i cant see ever happening as they are all in the early years and those cost a pretty penny sometimes but my next aim is to get it down to needing 500 :D

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue.
Well there you go! That is the very matter I have been trying to clarify. If a double issue is double dated it is two issues in one, and therefore I would count them as such. The reason the publisher felt it necessary to produce the double issues, (strike, shortage of paper, weather conditions etc.), is in a way neither here nor there. The fact is that the two issues that they decided to issue as a double, with the two relevant dates, were effectively two single issues in one wraparound. The key fact to remember is that both of them had already been printed. Now obviously I'm not telling anybody how to count the issues of Buster in their collection, but I would have to count all the double issues as two issues.
In the case of Buster, the double dated issues were not "two single issues in one wraparound". They were not "double issues" but normal sized issues that simply carried two dates to account for the weeks skipped due to strikes. No extra pages or extra length stories, so surely each of those double dated issues would only count as one issue?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
In the case of Buster, the double dated issues were not "two single issues in one wraparound". They were not "double issues" but normal sized issues that simply carried two dates to account for the weeks skipped due to strikes. No extra pages or extra length stories, so surely each of those double dated issues would only count as one issue?
I'm flabbergasted anyone would count those as 2 issues :lol: when you are counting or picking them up its 1 single issue regardless of a double date on cover so do we count the xmas 2000ad as 3 issues then or xmas beano :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I don't own any issues of Buster, nor do I want any, although I did buy plenty in the late seventies for my younger son who was a reluctant reader, but I definitely think it is a great pity that their publisher didn't place a number as well as a date on every issue like they used to, with The Champion for example, and as Hulton Press did with Eagle and Girl, and D C Thomsons did as well. We don't have any similar problems with their output as far as I'm aware. I certainly know exactly how many issues Thomsons produced of every one of their story papers for boys and girls.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i agree i wish ipc/fleetway put issue numbers on the cover and DCT were very good for this although its a shame beano has stopped putting number on the cover now as numbering certainly makes sorting much easier.

bustercomic

Post by bustercomic »

Bit late to the party on this one, but for the record I got to 1906 by taking the listing in the oracle (AKA, The Buster Index) and then adding on the issues post 1995.

In theory, the dates on Page by Page http://bustercomic.co.uk/decades.html should link to an issue in existence and accounts for strikes, doubles, and the like.

And in case you haven't seen it elsewhere, a little update on my corner of the internet was added yesterday evening. http://bustercomic.co.uk/thankyou.html

Matt
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk