Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
how many Buster issues? 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:31 am
Posts: 19
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
Well, I didn't buy them when they first came out, but I only need 6 more issues to complete the set...
So when you get the remaining six, KP, as you are confident that you will then have the full run, counting a double issue as two issues how many issues will you have? Your answer should put the matter to bed.


Don't you mean counting a double issue as a single issue? There's only one issue, regardless of it's size, so why count it twice? (i think there were 4 double issues, 2 in 1970, 2 in 1994).


Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:33 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1442
Reply with quote
a double issue is one comic one issue.I think only one double issue in 94 and i think the other was the last one of 93 carrying over into 1st week of 94 so i have that as 1 less issue in 93 with both years only having 51 issues.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
So when you get the remaining six, KP, as you are confident that you will then have the full run, counting a double issue as two issues how many issues will you have? Your answer should put the matter to bed.
big bad bri wrote:
a double issue is one comic one issue.
Fine. Let's try again. So when you get the remaining six, KP, as you are confident that you will then have the full run, how many issues will you have? Your answer should put the matter to bed.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 312
Reply with quote
1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue. hankshanklin has the number right in his spreadsheet.

_________________
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com


Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:31 am
Posts: 19
Reply with quote
big bad bri wrote:
a double issue is one comic one issue.I think only one double issue in 94 and i think the other was the last one of 93 carrying over into 1st week of 94 so i have that as 1 less issue in 93 with both years only having 51 issues.


Sorry, that's what i meant, didn't quite explain it to make sense. It was the new year issue 93/94, so we're both right, but you're more right than me.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:31 am
Posts: 19
Reply with quote
Thanks klakadak, it's good to know that between us we got there.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 8:43 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: space city
Reply with quote
The Grand Comics database is frustrating. It gives 1906 issues but has them listed numerically even though it was never numbered. Which means if I want to provide a scan of a certain issue I have to first work out which number it is. I am registered with GCD but there is no e-mail address to contact them and make them aware of this spanner in the works. If you look at the Lion they have it listed by date (apart from the earliest issues which were numbered).

I'd like to know where GCD got the number 1906 from?


Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:31 am
Posts: 19
Reply with quote
It's probably because of the 4 double issues. I don't know if they're actually labelled as double issues (i know there was a Whizzer & Chips that had 2 dates on it, & was labelled as a double issue). If an issue has 2 dates on it's cover, it's feasible that both dates were counted.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue.
Well there you go! That is the very matter I have been trying to clarify. If a double issue is double dated it is two issues in one, and therefore I would count them as such. The reason the publisher felt it necessary to produce the double issues, (strike, shortage of paper, weather conditions etc.), is in a way neither here nor there. The fact is that the two issues that they decided to issue as a double, with the two relevant dates, were effectively two single issues in one wraparound. The key fact to remember is that both of them had already been printed. Now obviously I'm not telling anybody how to count the issues of Buster in their collection, but I would have to count all the double issues as two issues.
stevezodiac wrote:
I'd like to know where GCD got the number 1906 from?
Presumably, Steve, they have counted each double issue as two singles.


Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1442
Reply with quote
glad that's all sorted now.thanks guys.I had a count up today and i own 1,224 so i only need 678 which i cant see ever happening as they are all in the early years and those cost a pretty penny sometimes but my next aim is to get it down to needing 500 :D


Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6934
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue.
Well there you go! That is the very matter I have been trying to clarify. If a double issue is double dated it is two issues in one, and therefore I would count them as such. The reason the publisher felt it necessary to produce the double issues, (strike, shortage of paper, weather conditions etc.), is in a way neither here nor there. The fact is that the two issues that they decided to issue as a double, with the two relevant dates, were effectively two single issues in one wraparound. The key fact to remember is that both of them had already been printed. Now obviously I'm not telling anybody how to count the issues of Buster in their collection, but I would have to count all the double issues as two issues.


In the case of Buster, the double dated issues were not "two single issues in one wraparound". They were not "double issues" but normal sized issues that simply carried two dates to account for the weeks skipped due to strikes. No extra pages or extra length stories, so surely each of those double dated issues would only count as one issue?

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:58 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1442
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:
1902 issues all in all. I count double-dated issues as one issue.
Well there you go! That is the very matter I have been trying to clarify. If a double issue is double dated it is two issues in one, and therefore I would count them as such. The reason the publisher felt it necessary to produce the double issues, (strike, shortage of paper, weather conditions etc.), is in a way neither here nor there. The fact is that the two issues that they decided to issue as a double, with the two relevant dates, were effectively two single issues in one wraparound. The key fact to remember is that both of them had already been printed. Now obviously I'm not telling anybody how to count the issues of Buster in their collection, but I would have to count all the double issues as two issues.


In the case of Buster, the double dated issues were not "two single issues in one wraparound". They were not "double issues" but normal sized issues that simply carried two dates to account for the weeks skipped due to strikes. No extra pages or extra length stories, so surely each of those double dated issues would only count as one issue?

I'm flabbergasted anyone would count those as 2 issues :lol: when you are counting or picking them up its 1 single issue regardless of a double date on cover so do we count the xmas 2000ad as 3 issues then or xmas beano :lol:


Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
I don't own any issues of Buster, nor do I want any, although I did buy plenty in the late seventies for my younger son who was a reluctant reader, but I definitely think it is a great pity that their publisher didn't place a number as well as a date on every issue like they used to, with The Champion for example, and as Hulton Press did with Eagle and Girl, and D C Thomsons did as well. We don't have any similar problems with their output as far as I'm aware. I certainly know exactly how many issues Thomsons produced of every one of their story papers for boys and girls.


Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1442
Reply with quote
i agree i wish ipc/fleetway put issue numbers on the cover and DCT were very good for this although its a shame beano has stopped putting number on the cover now as numbering certainly makes sorting much easier.


Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:05 am
Posts: 184
Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Reply with quote
Bit late to the party on this one, but for the record I got to 1906 by taking the listing in the oracle (AKA, The Buster Index) and then adding on the issues post 1995.

In theory, the dates on Page by Page http://bustercomic.co.uk/decades.html should link to an issue in existence and accounts for strikes, doubles, and the like.

And in case you haven't seen it elsewhere, a little update on my corner of the internet was added yesterday evening. http://bustercomic.co.uk/thankyou.html


Matt

_________________
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk


Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.