Jackpot comic better than you think...

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

paul p

Re: Jackpot comic better than you think...

Post by paul p »

Ive just recently completed my collection of Jackpot comics but am missing some of the 'Why be Bored' cut out strips from the early issues so the search goes on, but nice comic.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Do you have the wellycopter episode (can't remember the title of the strip) where our heroes visit Noshville and end up escaping from the porridge swamp? It was in one of the very early Jackpots. That is one episode I would love to read again.

paul p

Post by paul p »

Unfortunately Ive not managed to read any of the Jackpots yet but I would imagine its in there as I have all of the issues.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, when you find it, please scan it and upload it. That's why Tammyfan was asking.

paul p

Post by paul p »

Digifiend wrote:Well, when you find it, please scan it and upload it. That's why Tammyfan was asking.
Im new to the site so wasnt aware that was being asked. From a copyright perspective, is this allowed?

dishes

Post by dishes »

Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Oddly enough I just picked up a Jackpot Comic Annual from 1965 and, while it clearly has no connection with the later comic, it seems to me that in attempting to compete with Wham! World Distributors managed to come up with a collection of British humour strips that had a lot in common with the later IPC style. My personal favourite is the very weird 'Teacher Who Is A Teapot'!

Has anybody else come across this curious item, or the follow-up annual from 1966?
Attachments
3475856-jackpot+comic+(1966)+pagecover.jpg

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Nice review of Jackpot well done..
nice review on each character...love that detailed Tom Paterson one..

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Jackpot was one of my last humour comics that I bought on a weekly basis. I loved those early top 20 chart polls where you could write your favourite strips in descending order which I religiously filled in. Now, in seeking out those early issues, I dearly hope they haven't been filled in. Marathon Mutt and Richie Wraggs were my favourites at the time and Scoop was close behind. The Amazing Three followed much later in full colour, characters that Grant Morrison reprised in his Zenith series for 2000 ad. Ho-ho, there was no precocious humour adhered to then. Blimey! Still one of my all-time "favs" is Book Three of Zenith.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

As a side note (don't know whether or not this has been mentioned before) but Zenith Book Three had a strong connection with Moore/Davis "Captain Britain", another of my all-time favourite strips from Marvel Uk's early eighties strips.