Roy of the Rovers coming back?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Roy of the Rovers coming back?

Post by AndyB »

News from Down the Tubes and the BBC

big bad bri

Re: Roy of the Rovers coming back?

Post by big bad bri »

id love to see a new comic rather than expensive graphic novels.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:id love to see a new comic rather than expensive graphic novels.
It's not likely unfortunately. However, a graphic novel could work out a lot cheaper than a weekly or monthly comic over the course of a year.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

tbh if it was a graphic novel like those 2000ad partworks i'd prob buy it i'd struggle but wouldn't mind a monthly like that.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

https://ibb.co/iYQx38

This is in today's Daily Star. Tinypic seems to be offline so I hope the image works.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Probably easier to just google Roy of the rovers and choose the news option.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Some time ago during a discussion on ComicsUK, I said that I had a copy of the first issue of TIGER, but I didn't know where it was. I do now. It's on my desk. I've been rummaging through some drawers and large wardrobes looking for my set of harmonicas, which so far have evaded my search, but in the process I discovered a pile of early issues of TIGER. In case anybody is interested in the following information, I have issues 1 (September 11 1954), 2 (September 18 1954), and 43 (July 2 1955) - 55 (September 24 1955). I'm going to take them with me to Russ's tomorrow. I have to look after Alex from 10.30am to 3.00pm because Russ is working, and Rach is taking Lois to the village hall in Lelant for the first of two final rehearsals for the ballet show that Liz Nolan's Company are staging in Redruth in about ten days time, so I might as well take the TIGERs and some very early issues of ADVENTURE to keep me occupied. I hope she leaves me some lunch. I really can't face McDonalds again for at least a couple of weeks. :roll:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In Tesco this morning I saw a Roy of the Rovers Summer Special. Awful modern style art for the first story.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

You should have read to the end. David Sque has drawn a new strip in it.

The whole reboot is extremely well written and plotted out, and the key characters are well-defined. The artwork is a matter of taste, and I like it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I don't have the space to buy modern comics anymore. I did see the more traditional art further on. I'll have another glance tomorrow to make sure the art was as appaling as I thought.

I've just noticed the link in my message above shows the new look "Hannah-Barbera" style Roy. An insult.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

When Roy Race first came to our notice, and to that of Alf Leeds, a talent scout for Melchester Rovers, he was playing for Milston Youth Club F.C. He would therefore be about 15 or 16 years old in that first instalment of 'Roy Of The Rovers'. By my reckoning he will now be about 80. Are we really going to insist that he swap his pipe and slippers, not to mention leaving his wife to soldier on in the kitchen without his valuable help peeling the potatoes and stirring the custard, and then setting the table for just the two of them, as all their offspring will have long since flown the coop, and then struggle into his kit, which will take him much longer than it used to as he may well have great difficulty remembering which leg to put into his shorts first in order to ensure that he doesn't fall over, which in my view is particularly important as he may have a serious struggle to get up again? No, I thought not!!!!!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Nothing appalling about the art. Plenty of character, and with a clear view of the story being told, especially if you have read the graphic novels and books.

I'd also be pretty certain that David drew his pages for the special on a tablet. He certainly coloured them digitally, and it's totally unmistakeably his work.

The point here is that Roy has been reminagined in the 21st century, in a world with vulture capitalists trying to ruin football clubs for the sake of their own pockets. He's very much the same teenager from the very first episode, with the same talent, the same potential, and the same load to learn. Rob Williams has done an excellent job, and Tom Palmer clearly works tightly to Rob's brief.

And his artists clearly care about the execution and making every line they draw count. No Scooby Doo recycling of cels.