The New Avengers

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

The New Avengers

Post by stevezodiac »

No not Purdey and Gambit. I'm reading volume one of the Essential Avengers and am bemused by the (back in the mid 60s) decision to drop Iron Man, Thor and Giant Man and the Wasp from the line up and replace them with Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. In hindsight it seems like professional suicide. Was it Stan's idea? I can't imagine the publishers being happy with it. I must admit I find the bickering among the new members a bit tiresome - maybe it was just Stan wanting to try a new slant - the original line-up being a bit too powerful and chummy?

Marionette

Re: The New Avengers

Post by Marionette »

Bear in mind also that those characters all had their own comics, so perhaps it was an effort to make the Avengers more autonomous.

In the early days of the "new" X-Men, writer Chris Claremont would have a character absent from the comic if they were in a mini series or a crossover in another comic. These days you get where Wolverine is on six different teams simultaneously, while being headmaster of a school.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

"Bear in mind also that those characters all had their own comics, so perhaps it was an effort to make the Avengers more autonomous." Marionette
That seems likely to me and is a bit like when the original superhero team burst on the scene. The Justice Society of America featured heroes who didn't have their own titles.
http://www.cosmicteams.com/jsa/index.html

I remember being a bit disappointed in the Avengers because Hawkeye seemed like a poor man's Green Arrow and I was never a big G.A. fan. Scarlet witch, at that time, seemed like an also ran and, again, Quicksilver was a poor man's Flash. It was Cap. America who carried the team imo.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I always thought the Scarlet Witch had similar powers to Marvel Girl but reading these issues it seems she just had "hex" power ie could put the mockers on things (like make a gun fall to pieces). And Quicksilver seemed to tire easily (no Flash-like multiple circumnavigations of the Earth for him)

starscape

Post by starscape »

I always liked Pietro's nasty attitude and Hawkeye's arrogance. The stories improved later with the Vision coming in. Then they really were Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I guess they were more similar to the original X-Men when the roster first changed. Local menaces, not galactic villains.

Yeah, Wanda was a catch-all. I think it might have been Jim Shooter that tried to nail down her powers later on. Remember, when she was in the Brotherhood (sheesh!) of Evil Mutants (and that's what they called themselves!). Oops, I've pointed and have so little control over my powers, I've almost killed my colleagues.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

There was also a Sisterhood at one point, though I think they dropped the "Evil" part after it tested poorly amongst undecided voters.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Re the Avengers I went over to my mum's this morning and found a package waiting for me. It was a copy of Alter Ego magazine - an Avengers special. I don't subscribe as my mate Steve gets me a copy from 30th Century Comics so I presumed I had received it a contributor. Sure enough my name is on the contents page and inside is a scan I sent about three years ago of a Barry Smith pin-up from Fantastic. As you can see Roy Thomas isn't sure this is Barry's work so I just like to ask if anyone here can confirm Barry Smith did these pin-ups? I'm 99% sure they were his work. There are quite a few UK Avengers covers in the article. Its Alter Ego 118 dated July 2013.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Looking through this latest Alter Ego I see they have answered my original question in this thread under "The Old Order Changeth":

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Barry Smith personally confirmed his role as Power Comics' back cover pin-up artist in an interview that appeared in Arkensword no.21.

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks - I'll let Roy Thomas know. (its great being able to name drop isn't it) - but he does give his e-mail address in every issue of Alter Ego.