[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Comics UK - View topic - The Phantom

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Phantom 

Last edited by philcom55 on 31 Jan 2014, 20:44, edited 2 times in total.

31 Jan 2014, 20:37

Oops - double post! :oops:

31 Jan 2014, 20:37
Guru

And let's not forget The Iron Teacher, The Hotspur's contribution to the war effort in Holland in 1942. He starts a school for young Dutchmen in which he teaches them how to fight the Huns. The Nazis meet their match in him.

Attachments:
IronT.jpg
IronT.jpg [ 88.83 KiB | Viewed 4333 times ]
31 Jan 2014, 21:32

What a great Flaming Avenger cover.
Phoenix, I hadn't realised that The Iron Teacher went back so far. Thank you. Now, if you can come up with an avenging/fighting team from the '40's to match my 'Society of Remarkable Chaps' - which is of course the brainchild of Mr Rushton - I'm sure that would encourage some others to join in. I HOPE. Detectives, masked men, adventurers, policemen. All welcome. It's simply that I'm a MMM fan.

31 Jan 2014, 21:50
Guru

Attachments:
IronT2.jpg
IronT2.jpg [ 155.36 KiB | Viewed 4320 times ]
01 Feb 2014, 01:06

The Iron Teacher sounds great! It was a clever technique editors often used, to mix the extraordinary into an everyday situation so that children could more easily imagine themselves in that scenario. Thomsons seem to be masters of this. (I think that's what appealed to me about strips such as The Red Wrecker and The Crimson Ball in The Dandy in the 1960s.)

01 Feb 2014, 01:31
Profile WWW

I've got absolutely no idea who this MMM was, or what he did, but he certainly looks as though he's got what it takes to be a 'Chap'.

...Even if he wasn't a hero I don't think it should automatically disqualify him as reformed villains have a long and honourable tradition in comics, from the Steel Claw onwards!

- Phil Rushton

03 Feb 2014, 20:04

Sorry, I have the bad habit of abbreviating Masked Mystery Men (Man) to MMM. There are a few of us superhero/MMM nuts who do it - it's shorthand.
The Clutcher cover is a new one on me and very effective. I have no problem with reformed villains and one of my favourites is The Black Sapper. What I find interesting is that officialdom in comics often considers crimefighters and villains as one and the same. Being a vigilante is usually against the law, yet Batman was exactly that. The Spider was a super villain, yet "the law" saw him in the same light as Batman.
If anyone fancies speculating on possible lineups for another crimefighting group, this time, perhaps The Fair Play Brigade - motto, "I say, that's not cricket" I'd like to propose, Captain Zoom, Birdman of the RAF, from Skipper. Any advance.

03 Feb 2014, 20:57

Interesting news on The Black Sapper coming soon...

04 Feb 2014, 11:57
Guru

04 Feb 2014, 21:04

Thanks Phoenix - the later Karga definitely rings a bell!

Now how about this one: I know there was a Paul Power in Chips during the early 1950s, but does anybody have any information about this version? Above all, did he make his debut before or after that other 'Man of Steel' from the other side of the Atlantic (and since he was featured in Film Fun was he an original creation or a real life film star?

- Phil Rushton

05 Feb 2014, 08:05

I have some episodes of Paul Power and his Speed Shell but this one is new to me. The Guide doesn't list him under Film Fun and there is no mention of him on International Hero. Stumped!

05 Feb 2014, 15:38
Fence Sitter

Would the Keeper of the Dread Sword count?

14 Feb 2014, 09:16
Profile WWW
Guru

14 Feb 2014, 11:55
Guru

14 Feb 2014, 16:00
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next