PREVIEW:THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Details about the strips from this wonderful publication.

Moderator: AndyB

jim244

PREVIEW:THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Post by jim244 »

The Six Million Dollar Man was one of the biggest television shows of all time and ran for five seasons.
It's odd but true that there is no complete listings of the Look-In strips anywhere on the internet.
There are attempts but nobody that's tried has all of the strips.
So:After I finish my posts on Space 1999 strips (which frankly others have well documented on the net and the strips have been re-published),I'm going to add history to this forum with information unavailable anywhere in the world.
And I believe that this is one of the true functions of this forum,to add to comic book history,as a library for us and those to follow.
The Six Million Dollar Man strip started in Look-In in 1975 issue 26 and ran to 1979 issue 12.
There is just under 200 installments.
The Look -In Wiki Page is a great site and touches upon these strips but only covers a few.
There is a genuine lack of information available because people don't have the complete strips.
I do and it took me several years to collect.
Very much looking forward to posting about this as I haven't read them since I was a kid,these replacement copies for nostalgia have just been glanced over and put in boxes.
So when I post about story 1,I would literally have just read it.
Wishing you all a most fantastic Friday.

jim244

Re: PREVIEW:THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Post by jim244 »

The Six Million Dollar Man was perhaps the biggest pop culture success of the 1970s.
Based on a novel written by Martin Caldin "Cyborg" (1972),it started as 3 tv movies broadcast in 73,then the tv sseries ran from 74 - 78,broadcast on Thursdays at 19:00 (at least where I lived !!)

The Tv show was so successful it led to The Bionic Woman,an equally popular series that ran from 1976 -78.

Comics,toys,records,viewmasters....There was a huge amount of merchandise from the obvious (the very popular Steve Austin doll) to the frankly obscure (Jamie Sommers' classroom !!).

Look -ins' comic strip,drawn by Martin Asbury and written by Angus Allen for it's entire run,became the longest running adventure strip of the magazines' entire 20 plus years duration. Only certain comedic strips,such as The Benny Hill Page,ran longer.

With Space 1999,that I am currently covering,I have opted for brief synopsis and personal insights on each story,however I believe as the adventures of Steve Austin have not been reprinted nor properly even summarised anywhere else,to the best of my knowledge,I will be writing lengthy plot summaries.

For anyone that is unaware,The Six Million Dollar Man is about Nasa astronaut Colonel Steve Austin,injured and barely alive after a test plane crash,he is re-built.
His right arm,left eye and both legs are made "bionic".
He cost a lot of money,can you guess how much???
Yes lol,six million dollars !!!
So he kinda owes the government and thus begins working for Oscar Goldman,boss of the O.S.O.