Striker

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

tony ingram

Re: Striker

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Li Ming's withdrawn Warbury's finance, that's what I meant by trouble. Clubs in that situation in reality often fail to pay their players (not happened to a Premier League club yet, but surely it's only a matter of time) - if Roman Abromovich withdraws funding for Chelsea, the same thing will happen to them, that's what I meant about a lesson for Chelsea.
As I recall, this isn't the first time Warbury have been broke, is it? Weren't the players left without wages for some time when Eric lost his pork scratchings empire?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Apparently he still has a minority shareholding in the pork scratchings business, it featured a few weeks back.

Any idea why Striker was missing from today's Sun? :?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Apparently he still has a minority shareholding in the pork scratchings business, it featured a few weeks back.

Any idea why Striker was missing from today's Sun? :?
Nope-I noticed its absence but I'm as much in the dark as you.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I just tried to send them an email about it, and it rebounded in seconds! "Permanent error, full mailbox" and some other jargon - basically, undeliverable. :evil: The only day Striker is supposed to be absent is Sunday. And I bet The Sun doesn't print an apology tomorrow... :(

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:I just tried to send them an email about it, and it rebounded in seconds! "Permanent error, full mailbox" and some other jargon - basically, undeliverable. :evil: The only day Striker is supposed to be absent is Sunday. And I bet The Sun doesn't print an apology tomorrow... :(
I'll be more interested to see if they print Striker tomorrow...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Maybe not... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... st34506255
JAS84 (I) wrote:Where's Striker gone?
No Striker in today's Sun. Image Anyone know why? Image
Wayne814 wrote:Don't know why it wasn't in yesterday, but i do know that the strip is ending as Pete Nash is moving on.
I asked about it at the Digital Spy forum - and was told Pete Nash is leaving, so Striker's ending. I assume that's what the Crikey article will be about, if it's true.

I wonder what The Sun will fill the gap with?

Wayne814

Post by Wayne814 »

Hi,

Thought i would post a reply here after seeing you mention the place on digitalspy when you asked about Striker.
Digifiend wrote:I just tried to send them an email about it, and it rebounded in seconds! "Permanent error, full mailbox" and some other jargon - basically, undeliverable. :evil: The only day Striker is supposed to be absent is Sunday. And I bet The Sun doesn't print an apology tomorrow... :(
Yes i got the same when i emailed them in April regarding the rumour that the strip was ending, but i got a reply from Pete Nash.

He confirmed the strip was ending because he felt it needed to end as it had gone as far as it could go in its present form.

So Friday's strip could have been the end as it is supposed to end before the new season starts.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

If that proves to be the case, what a cliffhanger! The last speech caption was Eric saying that they had to do something to save the club, after he'd confirmed to Nick that all their new signings had fallen through (thanks to Li Ming) and some players, including Joe Rock, had been sold. I would've preferred them to finish by showing the team playing the Super Cup match (as they won the Champions League last season) only to go out of business the very next day. At least that way any loose ends would've been tied up.

Wayne814

Post by Wayne814 »

Ok just had a reply back from Pete Nash about the missing strip yesterday.

He's had a lot of emails regarding the missing strip so you might get the same email as i just got, even though your email bounced back.

Apparantly that was the Sun's decision to not run the strip as they are not going to run full page football strips on Saturday's, and the strip will end in around 5 weeks time.

One thing that interests me in the email is that he's hoping for an Animated movie version of the strip.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yep, got the same email.
Dear Reader,

RE: MISSING STRIKER ON SATURDAY

Thank you for your email. Please forgive the non-personal response but there have been so many queries about the missing strip on Saturday that I shall have to reply to them in the form of a circular.

I have contacted The Sun and it seems the problem can be attributed to the fact that in a few weeks I shall sadly be bringing Striker’s long run as a newspaper strip to an end. I know my decision will disappoint Striker’s fans but I feel strongly that the saga has gone as far as it should go and I have always promised myself that I would end Striker on a high rather than risk seeing it become stale.

I would be happy to consider relaunching it in the future and have offered to produce a new strip for The Sun in the meanwhile. To date, I have not had a response.

My intention is to work on new creative projects but I also want to develop the Striker story into other formats, including a series of books and, hopefully, the first of a sequence of animated movies. I shall post updates about this on our website, www.striker3d.net, which will be relaunched in September.

Because Striker will be ending in around five weeks’ time, The Sun have decided not to run the full-page football strips on Saturdays. Unfortunately this decision led to Striker being left out completely on Saturday, which, as far as I am concerned, should not have happened.

I am sorry to give you such disappointing news but I hope you will understand my reasons.

With apologies and best wishes,

Pete Nash
Well that confirms it. Goodbye Warbury Warriors. :(

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Maybe not... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... st34506255
JAS84 (I) wrote:Where's Striker gone?
No Striker in today's Sun. Image Anyone know why? Image
Wayne814 wrote:Don't know why it wasn't in yesterday, but i do know that the strip is ending as Pete Nash is moving on.
I asked about it at the Digital Spy forum - and was told Pete Nash is leaving, so Striker's ending. I assume that's what the Crikey article will be about, if it's true.

I wonder what The Sun will fill the gap with?
OK, since it's out there anyway-it is ending, but Pete is looking at other possibilities, including the animated movies and books he mentioned and possibly reprint collections. He's had the last story planned out since the beginning of the year but had to see out his contract with The Sun.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Just to add: the omission of Striker on Saturday was an error on The Sun's part, they've decided to drop the full page football strip on Saturdays but someone screwed up and thought they weren't supposed to run the next installment of the actual daily strip there either (which was the original idea).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I thought it odd, since today's strip is set during a pre-season friendly. So you're saying today's strip should've appeared on Saturday. I've known Champions League matches to use the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday strips, followed by a Premier League game in Saturday's, but Monday is never actual football (not since they introduced the Saturday full page), only ever post-match analysis or general storylines. Although today's strip did focus more on Dave and Nick in the dugout rather than pitch action.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:I thought it odd, since today's strip is set during a pre-season friendly. So you're saying today's strip should've appeared on Saturday. I've known Champions League matches to use the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday strips, followed by a Premier League game in Saturday's, but Monday is never actual football (not since they introduced the Saturday full page), only ever post-match analysis or general storylines. Although today's strip did focus more on Dave and Nick in the dugout rather than pitch action.
Yep, exactly right. I gather they changed their minds more than once over whether or not to drop the Saturday match page and evidently someone in layout got a bit confused as to what the eventual decision was and what it meant.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's missing again... looks like it'll only appear 5 days a week until it finishes next month. :(