Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Striker 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 8:43 pm
Posts: 4131
Location: space city
Reply with quote
How come I never hear any mention of Scorer - a football strip running in the Daily Mirror? I have no interest in either of these strips but don't see why Scorer should be excluded. It's actually drawn as well rather than CGI.


Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile
Fence Sitter

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 pm
Posts: 1901
Location: Cambridgeshire
Reply with quote
My parents used to get the Mirror... i only remember following one story, where somebody scored, the grabbed the goal post and it snapped and hit him on the head. I was studiously "not into" Football at the time, but would probably lap up the strip now... if my parents still got it anyway. Getting any paper for me is "out of my way" and i just want to get to work/home... especially in this weather!

_________________
1910 Press / British Comics Miscellany


Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6934
Reply with quote
stevezodiac wrote:
How come I never hear any mention of Scorer - a football strip running in the Daily Mirror? I have no interest in either of these strips but don't see why Scorer should be excluded. It's actually drawn as well rather than CGI.


Perhaps because many fans of British comics are too right wing to buy the Mirror? :lol: (Only joking. They like Garth, Andy Capp, etc. so they're not all bad. :wink: )

Scorer is a mixture of line art and computer enhancements. The line art is provided by David Sque, who drew Roy of the Rovers for many years, and other strips for Tiger etc.

http://www.lambiek.net/artists/s/sque_david.htm

It's written by Barrie Tomlinson, Tiger's old editor. As one of the very few continuity strips left in British newspapers I guess it must still be popular, although personally I'd like it more if it had the maturity of a Modesty Blaise or Garth strip. Or even a Flutters come to that. No doubt its flippancy and lightweight tone is part of its appeal but it doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid.

Lew

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
You don't even need to buy the Mirror to read Scorer, it's on the website. :)

_________________
Beano and Dandy Comic Libraries and Fun-Sizes list
Last update: 2 March 2017


Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:02 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Suffolk, England
Reply with quote
Afraid Dave Storry's misadventures have never had the appeal of Nick Jarvis and his dysfunctional extended 'family' for me. Nothing against either the art or the stories, but it seems to lack Striker's spark...

_________________
http://www.yudu.com/search?query=Crikey!


Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 115
Reply with quote
tony ingram wrote:
Afraid Dave Storry's misadventures have never had the appeal of Nick Jarvis and his dysfunctional extended 'family' for me. Nothing against either the art or the stories, but it seems to lack Striker's spark...

Agree with you Tony, and there never seems like much of a plot to Scorer's storylines.


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:15 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:27 pm
Posts: 4
Reply with quote
Its now confirmed it will be starting in Nuts on Tuesday 26th January.


Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
Big update on the Striker World forum.
Pete Nash wrote:
Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since you’ve had any updates on Striker so here goes:

Film/TV: Strong interest from a film company that’s seeking to raise finance but it’s slow progress.

Computer game: Keen interest from three developers but once again the problem is raising finance.

Books: To print and market the entire Striker archive as a series of books would cost well into six figures and publishers are cautious about taking this on without an idea of how many books would sell.

Because of the above factors, I have decided to make the 25-year archive free to view on the Striker website when it relaunches in early July. The stories will be released in stages of at least one page a day, seven days a week, with five strips to a page.

The rationale for doing this is to build up as big an audience as possible so that potential licensees in publishing, computer games and film/TV can assess Striker’s appeal through its website following.

The availability of the archive will be promoted through the Striker page in Nuts and also on Facebook and Youtube in order to reach a global audience.

We know Striker is read by over 200,000 people who buy Nuts but what we don’t know is how many people will visit the Striker website every day to read the free strips. It’s this figure that will be so important to potential investors in the Striker brand.

I have met many licensing agents who want to represent and market Striker but they would all like to know just how many Striker fans – both existing and potential – are out there. That’s what we shall start to find out by the end of this year.

The first Striker story that was reprinted in the comic was the shortened version that was created for the Striker annual that was published in 1989. The story that will be released on the website will feature the original Sun strips that have never been seen since 1985.

That’s about it. I’ll stick around over the next week or so to answer any questions.

All the best
Pete
The entire archive online for everyone to read. Nice one Pete! :up:

_________________
Beano and Dandy Comic Libraries and Fun-Sizes list
Last update: 2 March 2017


Fri May 21, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
Striker's coming back. No word on where yet though.
Quote:
Hey folks.

I just got an update re Striker from Pete Nash and thought I'd pass it along.....

I am back in the UK and wanted to update you and other Striker fans on the latest news.

We are at the stage now where I can say with 90 per cent certainty that Striker is set to make a return - hopefully for the start of the new football season in August.

No contract has been signed so I am unable to go into detail, but the fans know that I have long wanted to take Striker in a new direction and I can confirm that the plans include an animated serial.

Hopefully this can be signed off soon and I will be able to announce the full details.

All the best,

Pete Nash


I'm going to reopen the striker forum should anyone want to talk about the above. please don't laugh at how it looks. ((

http://www.strikerworld.co.uk/


Mick Wall.

_________________
Beano and Dandy Comic Libraries and Fun-Sizes list
Last update: 2 March 2017


Thu May 17, 2012 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 115
Reply with quote
Digifiend wrote:
Striker's coming back. No word on where yet though.
Quote:
Hey folks.

I just got an update re Striker from Pete Nash and thought I'd pass it along.....

I am back in the UK and wanted to update you and other Striker fans on the latest news.

We are at the stage now where I can say with 90 per cent certainty that Striker is set to make a return - hopefully for the start of the new football season in August.

No contract has been signed so I am unable to go into detail, but the fans know that I have long wanted to take Striker in a new direction and I can confirm that the plans include an animated serial.

Hopefully this can be signed off soon and I will be able to announce the full details.

All the best,

Pete Nash


I'm going to reopen the striker forum should anyone want to talk about the above. please don't laugh at how it looks. ((

http://www.strikerworld.co.uk/


Mick Wall.

:twisted: :lol: was going to post that this morning, the longer it went without any word of a comeback, I though that was it, but credit to Pete Nash for bringing it back, wonder what publication it'll be in?


Fri May 18, 2012 7:45 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 404
Reply with quote
:D I really can't wait for strikers return, interesting Pete mentions 'a new direction' I wonder how many of the old characters like Scrapper, Eric and Fabian will return and if there will be new characters.


Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
I think Eric, Vanessa and Nick are the only guaranteed characters to return. The previous run ended with Warbury Warriors closed down.

_________________
Beano and Dandy Comic Libraries and Fun-Sizes list
Last update: 2 March 2017


Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1445
Reply with quote
I hope its as a weekly comic again or even fortnightly a nice thick one with reprints from tiger/& roy of the rovers.I can dream cant I :lol:


Tue May 22, 2012 1:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 115
Reply with quote
big bad bri wrote:
I hope its as a weekly comic again or even fortnightly a nice thick one with reprints from tiger/& roy of the rovers.I can dream cant I :lol:

Now that would be good, I was thinking though if it were to become a strip in a publication, would Strip be the one that it could appear in?


Tue May 22, 2012 7:20 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 404
Reply with quote
Digifiend wrote:
I think Eric, Vanessa and Nick are the only guaranteed characters to return. The previous run ended with Warbury Warriors closed down.


That was the end of the run in the sun newspaper, the short run in Nuts had Warburg saved from liquidation but at the end Eric and Nick were sacked after a poor run of results.

I think Eric will return as the last panel had him saying he had another idea and if he does Vanessa is a cert to be there as well. I'm not so sure about Nick though as that same last panel had him walking in a seperate direction to Eric.


Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.