The Perishers are back.

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

The Perishers are back.

Post by stevezodiac »

OK they are reprints but here is the story and today's Daily Mirror strips page. Glad that one paper makes an effort keeping newspaper strips going.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The Perishers are back.

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Beautifully-drawn strip: hope it's back to stay.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like it, it replaced its own replacement, Pooch Cafe.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And if the Mirror owns the strips, it'll be saving a fair bit on paying for an imported strip... </cynic>

I'm pleased, really :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Pooch Cafe is stylish, but something of an acquired taste. I think a few elements in the Perishers are inspired by Charlie Brown/'PEANUTS', however......

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Hurrah! I never quite got the hate for Pooch Cafe but I'm certainly glad to see it back. Not that I buy the Mirror very often, but I'm still glad to know it's there.

Shame that the strip isn't better known in the States - if Fantagraphics gave it the sort of treatment they've given Peanuts, Popeye, Denis The Menace etc that would be a wonderful thing.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Is it my imagination or has The Persishers strip been stretched a little to fit that format? The figures seem a wee bit squashed.

Any idea what year they're reprinted from? Would prefer the Sixties ones but these look like much more recent vintage.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Blimey, Dave Storry looks older than i remember him!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here are the readers' letters from yesterday:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

POOCH CAFE isn't a dead loss, but it's too esoteric and obscure for more traditional-minded MIRROR readers, who demand more 'kitchen sink/recognizably British fare', I reckon.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Unfortunately, I don't think Pooch Cafe would suit the Express either. And I can't see The Sun taking it on, so I don't think it'll be seen in UK newspapers again - at least not for a while.

As for the date of these reprints, it was drawn by Dennis Collins until 1983, writer Maurice Dodd until 1992, and then Bill Mevin until it finished. So identify the artist to narrow it down.
Maurice's website (last updated 2006, just after he died, apparently before The Perishers was originally removed from the Mirror): http://www.theauthenticperishers.co.uk/menuindex.htm

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think Pooch Cafe would suit the Express either. And I can't see The Sun taking it on, so I don't think it'll be seen in UK newspapers again - at least not for a while.

As for the date of these reprints, it was drawn by Dennis Collins until 1983, writer Maurice Dodd until 1992, and then Bill Mevin until it finished. So identify the artist to narrow it down.
Maurice's website (last updated 2006, just after he died, apparently before The Perishers was originally removed from the Mirror): http://www.theauthenticperishers.co.uk/menuindex.htm
Quite some time before. They had several months worth of strips stockpiled when Maurice died, and when they ran out they reprinted earlier strips for a while.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The combined total of stockpile and reprints is five or six months. That website was last updated January 2006. According to Wikipedia, the Perishers disappeared from the Mirror in June 2006. An unpopular strip called Ronaldinho was launched to tie-in to the world cup, then Pooch Cafe was introduced as the permanent replacement.