Collection Rebuilt...Almost!

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just picked up 44 of the 54 (only got 35 to 44 missing) and have enjoyed yet another nostalgia blast. Some of the strips have really suffered in comparison to the current offerings, but others have aged quite well.

For those that have stood the test of time, in my eyes, I present to you Mantracker (art by the 'Big Willi' artist), Hitler Lives (art by Pat Wright), Arena (art by Alcatanes) and Crag (art by ???).

The sport ones seem to be slightly generic, but with a SF twist. The Kyser Experiment (football players replaced by their clones when injured) and The Striker From Nowhere (a man who cannot remember who he is but has to help a team to win the FA Cup while pursued by two mysterious men).

The mystery ones were OK but meandered slightly and could have been a bit tighter. Who Killed Cassidy (Conspiracy plot about the assassination of the US president) and Programmed To Kill (Organised Crime hypnotised people to kill on the receipt of a mystic sign)

But the biggest let-down, to me, was Plague 2000. Still stands well in comparison to the movie 'Damnation Alley' but suffers in being compared to 'The Cursed Earth'.

Still got the last 10 to read 8) so I am looking forward to Ebony Jones, The Mill Street Mob, Space Wars (the one that featured the anagram of Douglas Bader and was essentially a re-run of the Battle Of Britain in space!) and Starhawk.

Overall, this was a comic that was behind the drag-curve. If it had come out in '76, then it would have fared much better than Bullet IMHO, but would have had to work hard to fight the success of Action. This was truly a heavily punchy comic from the DCT stables, but was too late for it to be a major player. :(
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Col, Mantracker artist was Alberto Salinas and Crag artist was Peter Foster. Best of luck picking the rest up.