Danger Man strip?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kremmen

Danger Man strip?

Post by Kremmen »

ISTR seeing a Danger Man strip titled Operation Barracuda either in Champion before it was merged into Lion, or in Lion itself. Can anyone clarify whether or not this is so?

Kashgar
Guru

Danger Man strip?

Post by Kashgar »

I'll check this out for you. Danger Man certainly appeared in Lion although I don't think he arrived via the amalgamation with Champion. There was also a strip in Lion with the title Codename-Barracuda but this was quite seperate from the Danger Man strip. Details anon.

Kremmen

Danger Man strip?

Post by Kremmen »

Thanks in advance. I've been getting a few DVDs and VHSs of the series, and for some reason remembered briefly seeing the strip I'm asking about.

Kashgar
Guru

Danger Man strip?

Post by Kashgar »

The Danger Man strip, which ran for only three months, began in Lion dated 11th June 1966 which was also the first amalgamated issue with Champion, a title where it never appeared but no doubt hence the confusion. It ended on 3 Sept 1966 when it was replaced the week after by the strip Codename - Barracuda which is maybe where that particular link comes from. The artist on the Danger Man strip was Jesus Blasco incidentally.

Kremmen

Danger Man strip?

Post by Kremmen »

Thanks for the information re Danger Man. In the sixties, when I was a kid, if I got some extra pocket money, off an uncle, for example, I'd get one of the other comics that was available (at the time, I was getting Buster, Sparky and TV21) so I'd see occasional issues of titles such as Lion or Champion. My memories of the Danger Man strip were of that time, hence my not being sure whether it was in one title or t'other, but I knew it was in one of them, as I associate Champion with Lion by dint of it being merged.

Dunno where I got the title Operation Barracuda from as the title of the Danger Man strip. I got the impression from my memories that rather than call the strip after the title of the TV series, they gave the strip a different title - the one I seem to have coined. Ah well...