Visited The Holy Grail

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Visited The Holy Grail

Post by colcool007 »

Two weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to visit DCT HQ and meet the new sub-editor Scott Montgomery. He walked me through the process that is carried out in creating each and every issue of Commando and I was fortunate enough to see some of the original artwork before it gets shrunk down.

Also glad to see that DCT have their schedule down pat. They are usually working up to 6 months ahead so no last minute panics in that office!

Probably one of my best visits ever. The only down side was that I missed meeting Ian Kennedy by a day! :cry:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Visited The Holy Grail

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi ColCool,glad you enjoyed your visit...any chance you might have popped a few of the queries we levied at ya a while back :oops:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Visited The Holy Grail

Post by colcool007 »

Captain Storm wrote:Hi ColCool,glad you enjoyed your visit...any chance you might have popped a few of the queries we levied at ya a while back :oops:
I did indeed put a few of the questions to the man in the hot-seat and got some honest but caveated answers. The caveat being don't spill all of our working practices to everybody. Which is an answer that I can accept.

Ones that I can answer are...

Q. Why the shift to 4 reprints a month?

A. Mainly down to the fact that there are only 8 artists that of the calibre that are acceptable to the exacting standards of DCT and of those, only one is on the young side of 60!

Q. Why no older reprints?

A. This is due to the fact that original art, no matter how well stored, ages. And due to this simple fact, older art may no longer be up to the grade of being of a reprintable standard.

Q. Why is distribution of Commando so spotty?

A. We print the comics, we can't control how distributors are going to handle the comics.

Q. Why is Commando not better advertised?

A. Honestly don't know.

I did ask other questions and was given some interesting and truly Ah! moment answers, but in the interests of DCT, and the fact that I want to visit again, 8) I can't put the answers online. Suffice to say that Scott and George are working hard to ensure that Commando not only passes the 4000 issue, but hits the big 5000.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Visited The Holy Grail

Post by Captain Storm »

Thanks Col...though the Commando heavy reply was not really what I was on about 8) ...but if I can read between the lines,maybe my dream will come true :lol: Before the cream of artists and writers depart to the great comicon in the sky...and us with them... :D