Future Tense

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kremmen

Future Tense

Post by Kremmen »

IIRC, this started out as a weekly, and the freebie they gave away was a spaceship that you assembled over three weeks. (It sounds better than it actually was!) At the time they tried cramming in a lot of strips into 32 pages, which didn't quite work. Also they put Star Trek in, using their movie adaptation and their follow-up strip, which was still there when it went monthly.

Muffy

Future Tense

Post by Muffy »

Though reprints, it was the first time I had ever read these strips, so for me it was all new, and as a child I loved sci-fi, buying ever issue with my hard-earned newspaper round money, including when it went monthly. I like the Micronauts so much I bought a couple of their figures [not realising that the comics had come AFTER the toys]. Marvel's Star Trek and Star Lord were good reads. It lasted 41 issues I think - which was quite a lot for the early 1980s, I still have them today, neatly stored in a box. :roll:

Earl

Future Tense

Post by Earl »

Yes. I loved these when it came out, although none of the local newsagents had the monthly issues and I am still missing some to complete my set. Remember the Seeker 3000 strip.

jim244

Re: Future Tense

Post by jim244 »

One of my favourite comics,"Future Tense" evolved and was enhanced with "Forces of Combat" and later "Valour" titles joining when they folded.I collected it at the time and lost them so bought them again through ebay.The bizzare selection of scfi and fantasy and fantastic artwork (all reprinted obviously from US mags) made this publication from Marvel UK something special.The Rom strip was incorporated into Star Wars monthly but other than that,it ended with issue 41.
Having said this,Starlord,Micronauts and Seeker 3000 were all previously in Star Wars Weekly (although only Seeker was a direct repeat;the others had different stories,if memory serves).
What was very different about Future Tense is there was a letter from the editor to the readers in the last issue,stating that this was the final issue and they had tried something new etc.
Great mag.