Mighty Moth and Barney Bear

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Mighty Moth and Barney Bear

Post by AndyB »

Dick Millington was not the original artist of Happy Families - that was the same as Dads as Lads, and may have been Bill Titcombe.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Raven wrote:
30 May 2008, 22:23
The BBC often used to show Barney Bear cartoons; they were usually in the Tom and Jerry/Droopy style; mostly very good. They were made from the late 30s to the mid 50s.

I think TV Comic was especially a really nice comic from the early to mid 70s. Tom and Jerry, TV Terrors, Mighty Moth, Barney Bear, Animal Magic, Tich and Quackers, Frank McDiarmid's Texas Ted, Beep Beep the Roadrunner, Basil Brush colour double-pagers, Tarzan, Wacko!,Nelly and her Telly, Bugs Bunny, Pink Panther (always loved these colour one-pagers), Laurel and Hardy, Skippy, Popeye; it's a fine line-up.

It's worth getting the issues where Doctor Who wasn't featured as its place was filled with adaptations of old ITV childrens' adventure series like The Flaxton Boys and Grasshopper Island. The Doctor Who strip itself was good circa mid-Seventies.

TV Comic seriously went off the boil toward the late 70s, though - becoming Mighty TV Comic, then reverting back to regular size; it started to fill with reprints and less good material at this time.
Generally agree;just two points:
1)Yes,Mighty TV Comic had many faults but did feature reprints of classic Gold Key Star Trek and was nice to see art in larger panels.
2)I think TV Comic greatest age was 64 - 74,so not disagreeing with you,just believe that those early Dr Who,Fireball XL5 and Space Patrol issues were also classic.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I missed the last issue of TV comic but wrote to Polystyle and received a copy together with a letter from the editor which I still have.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 21:25
I missed the last issue of TV comic but wrote to Polystyle and received a copy together with a letter from the editor which I still have.
That's a nice story and very kind of Polystyle.
In the mid 70s',the breakfast cereal Weetabix was giving fantastic card figures away from the "DR Who" television series.
My Brother and I kept getting the same ones.
My Mum wrote to complain,received a lovely letter back plus 2 full sets !!!
Was corporate business simply more human back then???

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Since I started indexing comics onto Grand Comics Database I've noticed that the Tom and Jerry strips had a conclusion on the cover but then carried on for a second page making me wonder if a single page version was syndicated out elsewhere.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

TV Comic was always a penny more than its competitors but always very entertaining. I never understood the inclusion of Mighty Moth but what a great 5 minute cartoon it would have made. Again I never understood the inclusion of TWO Roobarb strips. In the end I lost interest with the format change (never a fan of a couple of panels on the front) but a great idea to at least launch the revamp with two free comics - Doctor Who, then Star Trek.