Your fave story

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Your fave Whoopee story?

Frankie Stein
No votes
Bumpkin Billionaires
40%
Sweeney Toddler
20%
Bookworm
No votes
Cheeky (from Cheeky merger)
10%
Mustapha Million (from Cheeky)
No votes
Stage School (from Cheeky)
No votes
Calculator Kid
No votes
Creepy Comix (from Wow merger)
10%
Other (that I've forgotten to mention like Smiler)
20%

Total votes: 10

Muffy

Your fave story

Post by Muffy »

No posts for one of IPCs longest running titles, please vote for your favourite story. I started collecting this when 'Cheeky' merged with it in 1980, still got my 'Friend of Cheeky' badge after all these years (wore it to School Disco when it was at Hammersmith Palais too, but it was lost on all the 18 year-olds there) :)

Note: I was limited in the number of options I could have so apologies to Snack Man; Boy Boss (Wow); Smiler; Family Trees (Wow); Scared Stiff Sam; Supermum (by Tim Quinn and Dicky Howett) and many others

tolworthy

Your fave story

Post by tolworthy »

Apart from Worldwide Wierdies I had no favorites in Whoopee, yet it ws one of my favourite comics. I think that's because all of the stories were worth reading, even though none (to me) were classics. I really liked the mix. Some comics (e.g. the Dandy) had classic strips I loved (like Winker Watson) and strips I didn't bother reading (like half the comic), but Whoopee was all good.

HighAndMighty

Your fave story

Post by HighAndMighty »

After Krazy, Whoopee and Jackpot compete for my top spot.

Sweeny Toddler was a definite favourite- the artwork was incredible (of course) and the scripts were perfect. I used to love the Squelch in the margins "I love jam on toast but Sam on toast is better!"

Frankie Stein was another firm favourite- I spent years drawing him in the margins of my schoolbooks and am still doodling him on notepads today... I'll get him right one of these days....

Missing favourites - Bookworm! Ad Lad! something about a boy photographer ?

(edit: sorry, Bookworm is on your list, my mistake!)
cor!

tolworthy

Re: Your fave story

Post by tolworthy »

HighAndMighty wrote:Sweeny Toddler was a definite favourite- the artwork was incredible (of course) and the scripts were perfect. I used to love the Squelch in the margins "I love jam on toast but Sam on toast is better!"
Gaaa! I forgot Sweeny! Ignore my previous post about having no favorites in Whoopee. It's thirty years since I read S.T. and I am shocked that I could forget.

Though I have to confess that Sweeny Toddler was the one time in my life when comics corrupted my innocent mind. I normally have an excellent relationship with my Dad, but after reading a Sweeny strip I used Sweeny's immortal line regarding his father, "Sarcastic Old Twit." My Dad did not appreciate the description. Not one bit.
Last edited by tolworthy on 02 Aug 2007, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Your fave story

Post by Peter Gray »

Boy photographer was Snap happy a boy reporter...

I voted Bumpkin Billionaires...........though Sweeny Toddler is right up there...

Bumpkins was a great strip......always funny.......loved the one when the fat guy eats all there money on a freak show.......only to be revealed it was all a trick and he was a skinny man in a fat suit and gives the Bumpkins money back :lol:

Sweeny got even better in Whizzer and chips...and late Whoopee...
remember when Sweeny dressed up as Judge Dredd...Grahams Exton scripts were super,,,so much detail and funny backgrounds...

Super mum was great with hunt the worm...and wacky drawings..

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

tolworthy wrote:Apart from Worldwide Wierdies I had no favorites in Whoopee, yet it ws one of my favourite comics. I think that's because all of the stories were worth reading, even though none (to me) were classics. I really liked the mix. Some comics (e.g. the Dandy) had classic strips I loved (like Winker Watson) and strips I didn't bother reading (like half the comic), but Whoopee was all good.
If you're feeling flush Tolworthy, then compalcomics has an original Ken Reid going for sale in this quarter's auction. Be prepared for your wallet to scream when you see the price!
compalcomics wrote:177 World Wide Weirdies artwork (1970s) drawn and signed by Ken Reid for Whoopee! comic.
Jonah, Faceache and Frankie Stein artist, Ken Reid at his frightful best with a Creepy Coaches school visit to The Houses of Horrorment, West Monster Abbey, Spookers Corners and Trafalgar Scare, not forgetting Jekyll ?N? Hyde Park!
Indian ink on cartridge paper. 19 x 12 ins
?250-350 See illustration
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia »

Peter Gray wrote: Sweeny got even better in Whizzer and chips...and late Whoopee...
remember when Sweeny dressed up as Judge Dredd...Grahams Exton scripts were super,,,so much detail and funny backgrounds...
I haven't seen Sweeny as Judge Dredd in all the comic I have...
My favourite Sweeny moment was "Sweeny Coddler" which I think was on the cover of Whoopee. Not much to it, it was just a fish with Sweeny's head from memory... I liked the name though :)

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

compalcomics wrote:177 World Wide Weirdies artwork (1970s) drawn and signed by Ken Reid for Whoopee! comic. ... ?250-350 See illustration
And worth every penny. Sadly, my wallet looks like one of those comic wallets where you open it and a moth flies out, starving due to lack of food. :(

Wasn't the going rate at IPC at the time soemthing like ?30-40 a page? It is of course a fact of life with limited supply collectibles, but it always seems sad to me that artists must struggle for the odd crust when they are alive, then the real money comes after they're dead. It would be nice if we had a time machine and could go back to Ken Reid during one of his lean years and say "Ken old buddy, you're the best. Draw me a piccy old mate, here's a hundred quid, and don't worry about a deadline."