Is this a joke category?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

kevf

Is this a joke category?

Post by kevf »

I like to flatter myself that I know a bit about comics, but Zip comic which was some kind of obscure spin-off from Mickey Mouse, is that for real?

Or is it all we could find for Z.

What about Zig & Zag's Zogazine? That kept me in work for a few months back in 2004. Memories.
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

Stingray

Is this a joke category?

Post by Stingray »

Zip comic, which I don't know a whole heck of a lot about appears to be another BOYS adventure comic, from the Odhams stable in the 50's. Check out the gallery in this section. Had strips which included chisel jawed BRETT BRAND (sounds promising so far! The type face looks like it could be from a WWII strip).. Then we read the rest of the title - 'BRETT BRAND of the BRITISH RAILWAYS!??! No idea what kind of cracking adventures this guy must have had... He would probably have been late for most of them! :lol:
Andy

David Simpson

Is this a joke category?

Post by David Simpson »

Yes, Zip did exist. I have a few issues to prove it. The publisher lost the rights to Mickey Mouse, continued the non-Disney strips from MM Weekly into a new comic, and called it Zip.

It failed, deservedly.

David Simpson

ISPYSHHHGUY

Is this a joke category?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The only other comics whose titles begin with the letter 'Z', offhand, are early '90s 'VIZ' clone 'ZIT', and also the U.S. underground 'COMIX' venture from ROBERT CRUMB, 'ZAP' COMIX'.............but surely there must be more than these?

philcom55

Re: Is this a joke category?

Post by philcom55 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:....but surely there must be more than these?
...Zip-Bang, Zip-Zing, Zip-Zoom, Zipper-Ripper, Zippy, Zombie, Zoom, Zorro, etc, etc. (I'm not making these up!) :D

- Phil R.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

David Simpson wrote:Yes, Zip did exist. I have a few issues to prove it. The publisher lost the rights to Mickey Mouse, continued the non-Disney strips from MM Weekly into a new comic, and called it Zip.

It failed, deservedly.

David Simpson

Zip Comics was also the title of a short lived British underground comic in 1973.

http://www.lib.calpoly.edu/spec_coll/comix/zip1.html

Lew

philcom55

Is this a joke category?

Post by philcom55 »

...And there was also a Zip Comic in 1948 (featuring 'Cobweb Junction' by Reg Parlett), and another in 1946 featuring Filbert the Flea, Gringo the Terrible, Chakwa the Caveman, Floppo the Painter, Loopy Lizzie and Marco Macaroni.

Oddly enough neither of them lasted past the first issue! :roll:

- Phil R.

Earl

Is this a joke category?

Post by Earl »

I must admit to owning the aforementioned Zig and Zag softcover :oops:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

kevf wrote: What about Zig & Zag's Zogazine? That kept me in work for a few months back in 2004. Memories.
For a large chunk of 1994, this was my favourite comic on the planet, LOVED it to pieces! Was that a spelling slip-up when you said 2004, meaning 1994? As in, did you work on it? If so... THANK YOU :D

If not, sorry for dragging this up from the depths :oops:
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s