Upcoming interview: writer Bill McGoughlin

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

johnfreeman96

Upcoming interview: writer Bill McGoughlin

Post by johnfreeman96 »

Following up on the just posted Bill Graham interview (http://www.downthetubes.net/features/in ... 10308.html), Bill's now introduced me to Bill McGoughlin at DCT with a view to interviewing him, too: so once again, I'm throwing open the opportunity to send queries my way if you have time or inclination (and if you do, thanks!). Post them here or email me via the downthetubes email address on the site.

Here's his bio:

Bill started in September 1966 in The Rover dealing with text stories mostly about war, football and school. "One of the authors at the time was Alan Hemus and we couldn't wait to get our mitts on his stories, a great writer." Bill recalls "In 1969 I was moved to a new project...the reintroduction of The Wizard to the comic market, this time as a picture story magazine."

In 1973 it was on to the Beezer as a script writer for Bill, then in 1975 he moved to the Sparky, also as a script writer. "The editor was Ian Chisholm, a comic genius, and we worked on science fiction fantasy material for a potential publication," says Bill. "When Sparky ended I moved to the Topper. Chis told me to keep my head down and just wait, there was something in the pipeline.

"In early 1978, out of the blue, I was appraoched about a science fiction magazine and spoke to the bloke whose baby it was, Jack Smith. We got on really well and that was the beginning of Starblazer. Jack was editor of a series of pocket book women's stories and he did these as well as Starblazer. When Jack retired in 1985 I moved lock, stock and barrel to work with Bill Graham and one of the first things we did was get Alan Hemus to write for us. We worked on Starblazer as well as a new project involving pony stories for girls.

"Starblazer folded in 1991 and from then until 2006 I worked with Bill on the Wendy pony series, while we both briefly did the Football Libraries until they folded in 2003."

Since 2006, Bill has been in the Syndication department which is concerned with copyright issues, permission to use material and processing orders for foreign publishers, and working on nostalgia books.
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Upcoming interview: writer Bill McGoughlin

Post by colcool007 »

Bill Graham's interview is brilliant. Looking at Bill McGoughlin's CV, I am formulating a few queries, but I have still to get them into a sensible format.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

John, ask him if he's still playing the Wednesday 5-a-side football (along with the sprightly Bill Graham), and do let him know that even though I stopped playing about 15 years ago, I still have the bruises...not that I'm pointing any fingers!

These guys are true gentlemen...in the office at least!
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Steve Bright

Post by Steve Bright »

PS.....you may want to check the spelling of Bill's surname, John. I'm fairly certain it's McLoughlin.

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

LOL! Belated thanks for this and the spell check -- we should be sending off questions this week.

Hope you have a good festival this coming weekend. Looks like the weather's going to hold, anyway!
Steve Bright wrote:John, ask him if he's still playing the Wednesday 5-a-side football (along with the sprightly Bill Graham), and do let him know that even though I stopped playing about 15 years ago, I still have the bruises...not that I'm pointing any fingers!

These guys are true gentlemen...in the office at least!
John Freeman

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

colcool007 wrote:Bill Graham's interview is brilliant. Looking at Bill Mcloughlin's CV, I am formulating a few queries, but I have still to get them into a sensible format.
Hiya -- planning to send the questions off this week so if you have any please wing them my way asap. Cheers! Glad you liked the Bill Graham interview.
John Freeman