Some nice adverts...

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Some nice adverts...

Post by stevezodiac »

Here are some full page ads I have scanned from DC Thomson comics recently. Sorrry about the size but don't know how to reduce them but if you right click on the image and select "view image" you can see it in its entirety. The faces at the top of the Dandy advert are obviously by Bill Ritchie but not sure about Korky but Bill did draw semi serious pictures on the back of the Wizard in 1960/61 to accompany text stories so could be.

Raven

Re: Some nice adverts...

Post by Raven »

Wot, no free Cracker Bangs?!

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

The top one was free with the Dandy recently as well.
The 2nd one was free with it a few years ago. I think..
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'KORKY' is an immacculate piece of inking, even in extreme close-up.....

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Jimmy Crichton Korky. It was interesting to see Ards and Bangor in the football strip line-up - the Irish Football League doesn't usually feature in these things!

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

I really don’t get the logic behind the Football Teams Colour chart. Was the real thing in colour? If it only shows the top half of a shirt how would you know what colour the strip is beneath this? Why the separate faces to paste on, rather than a pic of Joe Bloggs in his team strip?

When is this from? It’s presumably in the 60’s So many questions! Oh for the unsophisticated days when the Radio Times gave you a print out of a football pitch divided up into zones so you could follow the radio commentary of “Smith crosses the ball to A and Jones clears it to B”

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Rover and Adventure ad was scanned from a copy of Wizard from around 1961. I was going through them before putting them on ebay. I think they combined two comics to make way for the soon to be launched Victor. Also boys' comics with mostly text were on the way out. Rover later combined with Wizard. But why are all the footballers sporting Green Hornet/Spirit/Lone Ranger masks?

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

Yes the advert does look like a trailer for The Team That Nobody Knew or some other themed football story. But why give away a sheet of headshots for you to stick over the players masked faces?

The DIY nature of this “gift” reminds me of the first Subbuteo sets, were you got an old army blanket and a stick of chalk and had to mark your own pitch.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Bit like those cake mixes that say "simply add an egg, butter and water". It's a packet of flour for chrissakes.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Bumping with a rather older advert for your viewing pleasure... from 1904! When the "Halfpenny Marvel" (most famous for introducing Sexton Blake to the world) was re-launched as "The Marvel" after a price increase to a penny. This was found in a bound volume of The Boy's Friend which i have...

The paper is quite thick and good quality, strangely. It's survived the test of time better than the papers it came in!