from Phil-comics on ebay..Comic Capers Vol 3

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

from Phil-comics on ebay..Comic Capers Vol 3

Post by Peter Gray »

Comic Capers Vol 3 #1

Unsure of date but probably 1950s. A Fair/Good example.

stevezodiac

Re: from Phil-comics on ebay..Comic Capers Vol 3

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's another title I found on ebay that i've never seen before:
Attachments
Little One's Own.JPG

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

That looks rather lavish for the 1890's / 1900's date it seems to come from. Must have been 3/4d or maybe even more. A lot for a comic then!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes i did pick up a tilte from the 1890s called Boys of Our Empire which had beautiful full colour covers and quite a few colour pages inside. There was also a humour magazine called The Million which had colour covers and inside pages. Have a few of those too. I love Victorian stuff.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Then again now that i think about it the Boys' Friend 2d double numbers had colour wrappers (the only issues i own are a bound volume which may be a publisher's file volume). That started in 1895, and i beleive a new editor took over around 1899/1900 and the start of his run heralded a run of four back-to-back double numbers. They used to produce boat race special issues in blue ink too (though that probably didn't cost much more than black and white, it was just blue and white!). Maybe Little Ones Own was "only" 2d after all. (Union Jack had colour covers for tuppence from 1920 onwards too)