Oldest item on comics uk ever?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

NP

Re: Oldest item on comics uk ever?

Post by NP »

Your friend has sound taste. Can you give us a flavour of his dialogue for The Count, please? (Though he does know Steve Delaney writes it all himself?!)

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in my fellow comics uk contributors grasp of British social and political history of the 19th century. Fancy not recognising the likes of Lord Palmerston or Sir Robert Peel on the title logo and as to the front page cartoon Lord John was the then Prime Minister Lord John Russell who the previous week had raised the thorny problem of income tax in the House of Commons on no less than two occasions, the same week coinciding with the birth of 'the babby' otherwise Queen Victoria's sixth child Princess Louise. A birth that had been greeted with something like countrywide indifference by the population (John Bull) as a whole.
What another royal mouth to feed from the public purse! See! now the joke is funny.
So come on chaps, brush up on your Corn Laws and the antics of Messrs Cobden and Bright and magazines like this will have you crying into your antimaccasers with laughter. Have you heard the one about Benjamin Disraeli and the Artisans Dwellings Act? It's a cracker!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks Kashgar... :lol:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote:as to the front page cartoon Lord John was the then Prime Minister Lord John Russell who the previous week had raised the thorny problem of income tax in the House of Commons on no less than two occasions, the same week coinciding with the birth of 'the babby' otherwise Queen Victoria's sixth child Princess Louise.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Sigh!* ...If only the antics of our own political classes were susceptible to such hilarious interpretations!!!

- Phil R.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:.....but in Mc CAY's case, I think he employed another artist to redraw all the backgrounds in every single frame [noticably in GERTIE the DINOSAUR] : which must have been an exceedingly tedious, soul-destroying job.....

...but for all his innovations, he never solved [or 'licked'] the problem of avoiding redrawing the same background hundreds, if not thousands, of times for the same shot: that was left to someone else [HURD and BRAY, slightly later] and their 'EUREKA!' moment.
Your right he did have a fella help him out with the drawing of the backgrounds, there was a time when I knew the name of this man and when I dig out the ancient video cassette with the fella been intervied on it I will let you know!

If only McCay would have put a bit more effort into animation imagine if his imagination were to be let loose on a moving image. I'm not complaining as his sequencial drawings were fantastic enough!

Cheers for the info I didnt really understand the term 'liked'. I was trying to find some of the 'Col Heeza Liar' animations (HURD) for my MA but I couldnt find them unfortunatley - I liked the use of speech balloons in the early animations - another link in the fascinating shared history between the two mediums!

Sorry to go :offtopic1: there!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'licked' is a term meaning 'to conquer' that I have nicked from ancient US films, Steve: ie: KING KONG thought he could 'lick the world'.

Steve Henderson

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:'licked' is a term meaning 'to conquer' that I have nicked from ancient US films, Steve: ie: KING KONG thought he could 'lick the world'.
Sounds sloppy!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

well, I never actually created 'cheap American jive-talk' from the 1930s: I'm merely reflecting it!

another favourite from this period; 'you two-bit mug!' [term for a loser in many JAMES CAGNEY scenes]: now, you wouldn't have called HIM 'sloppy to his face, now, Steve!

another line from an old gangster film I liked:

'Dis guy's about as much use as a two-buck can-opener!'

Steve Henderson

Im sorry mate but everytime I see your comments now I will imagine you writing them in a pin stripe suit, trilby hat and a huge cigar hanging out of your mouth, oh aye spats on your feet as well!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

got it in one! [see also my AL CAPONE reference in my closing signature].

ME and the 'BOIZE' in the 'good ole daze':

Earl

Post by Earl »

I love the old stuff, I just wish there was more sequential art in them. Ally Sloper's Half Holiday seems mainly cartoons and text articles with only occasional sequential comic storytelling. The covers are stunning though.

Earl.

Earl

Post by Earl »

My favourite site on pre 1900 comics is...

http://www.bugpowder.com/andy/earlycomics.html

Earl.