New Star Trek comic

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

mrbananas

New Star Trek comic

Post by mrbananas »

Anyone picked this up yet ?

Has the obligatory bagged free gift ( in this case, 60 stickers ).....not read it yet, but of the 68 pages, about two thirds are comic strip.

Published by Titan, and they advertise a new Terminator comic soon also.

Raven

Re: New Star Trek comic

Post by Raven »

Is it original British material or reprints of American strips?

mrbananas

Post by mrbananas »

American reprints.....there is a piece about it on the Downthetubes website

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Hmm, would be nice to see future reprints of the British Star Trek strips from the 60's (if the comic lasts as it's clearly a flavour of the month cash-in), weren't they in TV21 or something?

I suppose, due to the complicated nature of copyright, that the owners of the Star Trek copyright don't own those strips, Egmont or whoever do, and would rather just sit on them.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

TV comic also did a pretty poor comic strip in the late 1970's too. All the story's concentrated on Spock and Kirk, and were pretty badly drawn.

I quite liked the new film (saw it on Sunday), Chris Pine makes a good Kirk (though not as good as William Shatner's 1960s Kirk).

Was a bit surprised at a key planet in the TV series getting blown up. Nice to see Captain Pike too. To think he was soooo close to being called 'Tiberius'. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, I wondered why said planet had to go too. Other than that I really enjoyed the film; apparently it's been hugely successful in the States, meaning that all aspects of the original franchise have suddenly acquired what it takes to become a nice little earner again. I think the first UK strip version was a double-page colour series drawn by Harry Lindfield in Joe 90; I'm sure this would provide the basis for a handsome reprint volume, especially as Lindfield was excellent at capturing the look of the major characters (unlike the American Gold Key comicbook where quite bizarrely they didn't have the rights to use all the actors' likenesses! ). However, the version I'd really like to see reprinted is the short run drawn by Mike Noble after Joe 90 merged with TV21.

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Following on from the above here are a couple of covers featuring Mike Noble's short but memorable run on Star Trek: a rare return to form for the by-then seriously declining TV21. In my opinion Kirk and Spock have never looked so good before or since (except in Frank Bellamy's legendary one-page strip for Radio Times of course! )
...Looking at these I can't help but think what a great story it would have made if the Enterprise could somehow have travelled to a parallel world and been confronted by Fireball XL5! :)

- Phil Rushton

Raven

Post by Raven »

Muffy wrote:TV comic also did a pretty poor comic strip in the late 1970's too. All the story's concentrated on Spock and Kirk, and were pretty badly drawn.

I think these were reprints from the American Gold Key comics.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

There's a couple of Star Trek annuals in Lincoln Oxfam at the moment, they look like US reprints with horrendous colouring. I plumped for an 1898 school story instead XD.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Is it monthly? If so I might still find it in the shops.