First comic you ever read

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: First comic you ever read

Post by philcom55 »

Regarding the Future Batman and Robin team, the concept was revisited several times over the years. I suspect that CC may be thinking of the first of these from the 1960's, featuring Batman II and Robin II, as that fits his description more accurately:
(These were later reprinted in the 1970s with the third story shown above being included in Batman 254 - one of DC's '100 Page Spectaculars' )

Don't you just love Bruce Senior's expository dialogue? :)

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yep, sounds like Lew was thinking of the one I found, but ClassicComics meant the 60s one and didn't know it was a reprint.

Strange, this appears twice but I only posted it once. And when I edit one, both are updated. How can that be? :? (thanks Phoenix4ever for the PM on this issue)
Last edited by Digifiend on 08 Sep 2009, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote: (These were later reprinted in the 1970s with the third story shown above being included in Batman 254 - one of DC's '100 Page Spectaculars' )

- Phil Rushton
Here's the cover. One of my favourite comics too, so I should have remembered it. Ring any bells CC?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

First comic I ever read was the first issue of Buttons, I think.

I went from Buttons to Look-In to The Beano to Whizzer & Chips/Buster to Oink!... ah, the 80s was quite good for comics. :)

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Digifiend wrote:Maybe this will refresh your memory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Comi ... _magazine)

Thanks Digifiend :)

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

philcom55 wrote:Regarding the Future Batman and Robin team, the concept was revisited several times over the years. I suspect that CC may be thinking of the first of these from the 1960's, featuring Batman II and Robin II, as that fits his description more accurately:
(These were later reprinted in the 1970s with the third story shown above being included in Batman 254 - one of DC's '100 Page Spectaculars' )

Don't you just love Bruce Senior's expository dialogue? :)

- Phil Rushton
That's the one! That's the very one! I remember the numerals on the chest. Thanks so much, everyone. :) I shall now trawl ebay trying to track down a copy so I can re-live my childhood.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

In my case it was either The Dandy or an issue of The Beano with Big Eggo on the cover. I would be about 5 or 6 but because my dad thought all comics were frivolous, non-educational and inappropriate, I had to go to a nearby friend's house to read his. He also had a couple of Rupert annuals that I found unbelievably fascinating and, of course, there were also some panels of an ongoing story that I could read in his mother's Daily Express (another publication that would never have been allowed through the door of our house). I could read well before I turned 4, but my mum was a teacher and I have no memory of any stress. However, when it was my turn, I didn't use the Seventies equivalent of The Kingsway Readers or The Beacon Infant Readers, I used proper books and comics. With Andrew the comics were Roy of the Rovers and Tiger. Russell, on the other hand, was somewhat less enthusiastic about books so, on the basis that reading cornflake packets was better than reading nothing, I showered him with comics every week and he took to them like a duck to water. My pockets emptied joyfully to provide him with Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wow, The Beano, The Dandy, Buster and his all-time favourite Hoot. There were others whose titles I've forgotten and we also topped up at car boot sales with as many old annuals as we could find at a reasonable price.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bad luck for him that Hoot only lasted a year. Do your grandkids (if you have any) read comics - or are they too busy with computer games like most kids these days!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Bad luck for him that Hoot only lasted a year. Do your grandkids (if you have any) read comics - or are they too busy with computer games like most kids these days!
Russell and Rachel have kindly provided me with three. I have an open invitation to stay there but they live in Cornwall so I can only manage three fortnights a year. Russ bought lots of comics for Jordan (14), and I encouraged him to give him all his annuals. I've held on to his full set of Hoot, though, in case he wants to revisit it in full sometime in the future. Nowadays Jordan is a whizz on his PS3. Alex (8 months) is a bit young for comics but Lois (just 3), who has just moved from the nursery to a kind of preschool, is a different proposition. We usually read first thing before she gets up (she has boxes full of books and toys), or she may want us to do jigsaws (12 pieces), or we may go downstairs and watch Balamory and Charlie and Lola, or Peppa Pig and Numberjacks. She is easier to talk to now so we chat about these programmes. I buy her comics and activity books, which mainly seem to be TV programme orientated, and DVDs ditto. Other than that she is surrounded by music from Mozart (my input) to pop (Rachel's input), and folk (also my input). She loves to sing and dance and we go swimming, and to the park if it's not raining. She's very busy and curious. In the sense that her comics are never thrown away unless she has cut all the pictures out and stuck them somewhere, they are always present but they are not excessively important.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Glad to hear that they aren't just couch potato slobs, and that Jordan at least inherited a liking for comics. I suppose at 14 he thinks he's grown out of them (the fact he loves his Playstation doesn't surprise me at all), but maybe when he's older he'll change his mind. Shame the sort of thing the younger ones will get to see will mostly be TV related. If the current Dennis cartoon lasts very long, then even The Beano might end up becoming seen as TV franchised.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The first 'proper' comic I ever read was the Beano, issue 3117. The cover was the second in a serial where Dennis was with Gordon the Gorilla, who had escaped from the zoo. This came a few months after I first saw the Dennis TV series, and my dad recommended that I gave the Beano a try. It certainly worked out!

I must have read some other younger comics before then, but I have little recollection - I was probably too busy playing with my BRIO Thomas the Tank Engine set!
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

For me, the first comic memory that sticks in my mind is issue 1 of Warlord. It sticks in my mind as I remember thinking it was so different to anything that I had seen before. (Bearing in mind that we already got Victor, Wizard and Hotspur on a weekly basis) It struck me as something that was pushing the edge of the envelope.

I can be forgiven for not remembering anything else as I was only 5 when Warlord first appeared on the scene, but other comic firsts, for me, that sticks in my mind are the first Commando that I bought (Avalanche! issue 968 in Sep 1975), the story of Action being banned (Hadn't even known that the comic existed until the story broke!) and seeing my first issue of 2000AD. (And how I wanted those bionic stickers!). There have been many more down the years, but I am trying not to digress too far off the title subject!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!