The Merry Thought and Scraps.

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

The Merry Thought and Scraps.

Post by stevezodiac »

As well as comics I like humour magazines especially from the Victorian/Edwardian era. Here is a nice colour title. It had a few internal pages in full colour as well.

stevezodiac

Re: The Merry Thought and Scraps.

Post by stevezodiac »

I noticed the captions on the cartoons from inside the mag were unreadable submitted at forum size so here they are in actual size. Quaint humour a million miles from Viz etc.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

'Pon my soul! That young lady on the beach is showing her ankles! :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Somehow you double posted this Steve. Would it be possible to delete the other thread? EDIT: Somebody's dealt with it I see.

Anyway, good find, I didn't know comics had full colour front covers 99 years ago (especially not one aimed at adults)! Thought that didn't happen until the 1920s.
Last edited by Digifiend on 29 Sep 2009, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:'Pon my soul! That young lady on the beach is showing her ankles!
In olden days a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking
Now heaven knows
Anything goes.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Lew Stringer wrote:'Pon my soul! That young lady on the beach is showing her ankles! :lol:

Lew
Yes, in one cartoon there is a gentleman at the opera with two young ladies, he's not watching the opera he's sitting behind them enjoying the view of their backless dresses.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

stevezodiac wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:'Pon my soul! That young lady on the beach is showing her ankles! :lol:

Lew
Yes, in one cartoon there is a gentleman at the opera with two young ladies, he's not watching the opera he's sitting behind them enjoying the view of their backless dresses.
The blackguard! An utter cad!

SID

Post by SID »

What about that Algy fellow!?

Not only is he a letch (the way he looked at Angelina's bottom when she leaves after their quarrel).

But then he goes after what he perceives is another woman (at this point, I would question either his commitment to Angelina or his intelligence (since a simple mask stopped him from recognising her)).

But I do like the way the cad smoothly reacted when he found out who the mystery woman was.

An utter cad and not someone you want to tally with your daughter (unless he is loaded of course ;)).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).