Great TV Comic cover

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Great TV Comic cover

Post by philcom55 »

NP wrote:...Tony Hancock, who in 1962 told his pal and then-writing partner Terry Nation that the funniest thing he could do would be a science fiction story where the monsters were evil big pepper pots with a sink plunger on the forehead!
Gosh! I didn't know that - how brilliant! :)

Hmmm... Bearing in mind that Tony Hancock was universally known as 'the lad himself' I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that 'Dalek' is an anagram of 'Ek lad! :roll:

- Phil Rushton

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:2. Raymond Cusick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek
Cusick was always a bit miffed that Terry Nation got all the credit - and the cash - for the Daleks. In an interview - I think it was on the 'Dalekmania' video - he said that he'd had a chat with Nation and Nation had said something along the lines of "Don't you worry, Raymond. Leave it to me. I'll see you alright." Cusick left a telling pause in the interview at that point before finishing with "And I never saw him again." Nation sounds like an interesting character. In the various tales of him, he comes across as a bit of a wide-boy - writing 10 minutes of material for 24 minute episodes and leaving the script editor to fill in the rest; repeating storylines for pitches - I think it was Terrance Dicks who told him "That's a very good story, Terry - in fact, it's so good we made it last year"; reminding script editor Robert Holmes that they'd agreed to do a Dalek story every year... which Holmes had never agreed to because he didn't like the Daleks much. So, he does sound like a bit of a character... but he did write some fantastic stuff. I'm very much looking forward to hearing Big Finish's audio adaptation of Nation's proposal for a Dalek TV series.

I've always wondered what Ridley Scott's Daleks would have looked like though.

Oh, and a bloke named Davros wants to know who all these people claiming to have created the Daleks are...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I always hated the concept of Davros. Being a TV21 reader from the 60s there was no mention of Davros in their origin story. Wasn't there a Dalek called Zeg or something who created them? I'll have to dig out my Dalek Chronicles compilation.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Isn't that because Davros wasn't in the TV show until the 70s?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Yes, Davros turned up in the Tom Baker series 'Genesis of the Daleks' in the 1970's. It was in this series that the Doctor had the oppurtunity to obliterate the Daleks before they were actually fully formed but a crisis of conscience saw him miss this oppurtunity.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Who would win a battle between the Borg and the Daleks? (in this case discussion is not irrelevant).

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

stevezodiac wrote:Who would win a battle between the Borg and the Daleks? (in this case discussion is not irrelevant).
Daleks - the Borg wouldn't be able to pierce the bonded polycarbide armour to assimilate the Kaled mutant inside the Dalek casing. They'd be assimilating a mass extermination.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Classic Comics wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:Who would win a battle between the Borg and the Daleks? (in this case discussion is not irrelevant).
Daleks - the Borg wouldn't be able to pierce the bonded polycarbide armour to assimilate the Kaled mutant inside the Dalek casing. They'd be assimilating a mass extermination.
Either way, it would make for some seriously good TV. My money would be on the Daleks, but I am sure the Doctor would appear at the 11th hour to stop either species from completely exterminating/assimilating the other.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

What about species 8472 against the Daleks then? Would that see their Waterloo? (A reference I make in honour of this being my 1815th post).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was thinking what a great movie it would make. The cast of Voyager (mainly because they haven't aged as much as the others) The Doctor and the Borg and the Daleks. Directed by Peter Jackson? The Tardis materialises on Cargo Bay 4. Tuvok and a security team investigate.