Advert for first issue of Film Fun

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Advert for first issue of Film Fun

Post by stevezodiac »

Among my purchases at the comic mart last week was a copy of Butterfly & Firefly no. 146 which has this nice advert for Film Fun no. 1. It has occurred to me that I don't have a copy of the book of Film Fun so cannot check if this ad was reproduced therin. However I am now bidding on the book on ebay so hopefully will have one in my possession in due course.

Power fan

Re: Advert for first issue of Film Fun

Post by Power fan »

Fascinating! Winkle, the Pathe Mirth Wizard, looks rather like Harold Lloyd, but I don't believe that it is him. Who was he?

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Apparently Winkle was a character that Harold Lloyd played in a few films before he made the famous Safety Last (which premiered a couple of year's after Film Fun's debut, I think). It's rather strange that all the other features in Film Fun seem to bear the actor's name rather than the character.

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/individual ... iew=credit

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I've heard of Chester Conklin, but not Charlie Conklin, and a quick Google didn't turn up any Charlie Conklin results that seemed relevant. Did the comic rename him for some reason?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Same goes for Lawrence Semon who i always remember being referred to as Larry Semon. Perhaps some of them hadn't quite established their screen personas then.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

In January, to celebrate Film Fun's 90th birthday, I did a little feature on here talking about the film stars that appeared in the first issue amongst other things. Charlie and Chester Conklin were two different people BTW.

Power fan

Post by Power fan »

Thanks to Niblet for clearing up the Harold Lloyd query - I should have read Kashgar's very informative earlier thread. :cheers: