HELP!

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: HELP!

Post by felneymike »

Raven wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:I see the person selling it on eBay is trying to shift it for fifty quid! He's optimistic.
I won a mint copy of this from Ebay a few months back for about 99p. I say won but I was the only person who bid.

Fifty quid, eh.
You get some right nutters on there sometimes. Once somebody was trying to sell a 1960's Sexton Blake paperback for £60, it got down to £30 after repeated re-listings. 60p might have been nearer the mark.

There's somebody trying to sell a single issue of The Boys Friend Library on there for over £250 too, at the moment. I've paid less than that for entire volumes!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Though Amazon can be even worse. You can find someone trying to sell something like a 1973 Valiant annual for £153 on there, when there'll be lots of them going for about three quid each on Ebay.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Felneymike i have been transferring stuff from my old bedroom to my new flat and came across issues 2-14 of Chums. They are very tall so I cannot fit them into bags. I have been wondering what happened to issue 1 as it was obvioulsy snapped up by someone. I think they have come from a bound volume and it isn't the first time I have come across a bound volume where issue one has been removed (probably for a nice profit on ebay). They have not been trimmed so maybe not a professional binding job.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

stevezodiac wrote:Felneymike i have been transferring stuff from my old bedroom to my new flat and came across issues 2-14 of Chums. They are very tall so I cannot fit them into bags. I have been wondering what happened to issue 1 as it was obvioulsy snapped up by someone. I think they have come from a bound volume and it isn't the first time I have come across a bound volume where issue one has been removed (probably for a nice profit on ebay). They have not been trimmed so maybe not a professional binding job.
They did sell "the yearly version" which was that year's issues bound into a book, in the beginning this was covers, adverts and everything. So just issues 1-14 will have been an amateur job.

The first volume was taller (nearly as tall but not quite as wide as The Boys Friend which started a few years later) than the others because of the completely pointless contents section on each issue (of 16 pages!). This was removed in subsequent volumes which knocked a good inch and a half (judging by eye and bearing in mind i learned metric at school!) off the size.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

I remember buying/reading it when it came out. Very poor Oink rival (as Lew says), I didn't get it again and am pretty sure it only lasted a few issues.

I agree £2 is a fair price.