Fizz

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Fizz

Post by SID »

Found this comic for sale in eBay.

Ring any bells?
Attachments
Fizz.gif
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Old Freddy

Re: Fizz

Post by Old Freddy »

Before my time, this. But I do remember wanting to make a comic called "Fizz" a few years back!
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

There are two up on ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FIZZ-Comi ... 20bef92bd1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1st-issue-fiz ... 20bf25608d

different covers and im assuming issues but both lots claim it to be the first issue.
The comics were unnumbered and undated. But ebay says early 90s. The look similiar to Acne comic another comic which I never heard of which i saw on ebay recently.

Read more about Acne in this thread here

They look a bit like Oink clones or maybe Viz clones trying to aim at a younger audience.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Cover says "The comic for teenagers" but it really looks quite similar to covers from DCT and Fleetway's comic annuals, which were (and still are, in Beano and Dandy's case) aimed at a younger age group.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I doubt they would put someone throwing up on the cover of a Beano/Dandy Annual.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:They look a bit like Oink clones or maybe Viz clones trying to aim at a younger audience.
I just realised the phonetic similarity of the word 'Fizz' to 'Viz'. And now I think about it, the logo looks a bit similar, too...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I doubt they would put someone throwing up on the cover of a Beano/Dandy Annual.
It's not impossible, such scenes have appeared inside the comics. This Fizz seems to be a halfway house between those and Viz, but it was clearly aimed at a non-existent market.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

From the heading I thought it was a post about Fizz from 1947. Only one issue was published which I have somewhere. I'd scan it if I could lay my hands on it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Not surprising, reused names were pretty common.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I doubt they new of 1947's fizz when they made this comic.

I have found a similiar (well similiar names and from around the same time) comic on comicsuk's gallery called Fizog whilst seeing if Fizz was on the comicsuk Gallery.
Surprisingly there is a lot of info (more than none) on this comic on the web even though it only had three issues. http://britishcomics.com/Fizog/index.htm

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

That cover looks quite well-drawn and printed compared to most of the other Viz ripoffs... which isn't saying much, mind you.

There was a court case around that time involving one of the Vizalikes trying to "pass itself off" as another one (they didn't look even slightly similar and the case was thrown out, mind you). Perhaps the makers thought the name Fizz was a bit too close to the bone and cancelled it?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I doubt they new of 1947's fizz when they made this comic.

I have found a similiar (well similiar names and from around the same time) comic on comicsuk's gallery called Fizog whilst seeing if Fizz was on the comicsuk Gallery.
Surprisingly there is a lot of info (more than none) on this comic on the web even though it only had three issues. http://britishcomics.com/Fizog/index.htm
That link led me to look at this little gem by Denis McLoughlin
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Well, won and got the first issue. Haven't read it yet. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Not sure where my copy of Fizz has gone, it was there before I moved house, but wasn't afterwards (Hmm...).

Anyway, from what I remember, it came out around 1995-ish, got it from Kwik Save on the way home from school as a "Friday treat". Loved it at the time, but a few years later I realised a LOT of it was reprinted from stuff found in Acne comic, just with less swearing - even a few things from Smut!

Bazza (the world's worst footballer), Craterface, Billy Bunt... All these and more appeared in at LEAST Fizz and Acne. And I've seen Bazza in at least one other comic, too!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Finally located my 1947 Fizz and here it is. It has strips by Denis Gifford, Bob Monkhouse and Wally Robertson. It has colour on every page.