Unidentified 1960s comic, story series

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philclark

Unidentified 1960s comic, story series

Post by philclark »

Hello all. In the early 1960s (I am sure it wasn't as early as the 1950s because of my age) I got a weekly (UK) boys' comic/magazine which included story series that were primarily text with maybe one or two accompanying illustrations: each week's story in the series would be spread over 2-3 pages.

One story series which has always remained in my memory involved a "Phantom" in Blackfriars (I think). I don't think that the Phantom actually did anything other than scare people! In the final two-weeks episode the Phantom was unmasked as being the twin brother of the local barber who knew all about the rouse: the Phantom had been able to come and go with ease because no-one else seemed to know that the area was honeycombed with secret passages, doorways, etc.

Does this scenario ring any bells with anyone? I cannot recall whether the magazine was a mixture of comic strips and such mainly-text stories or whether it was all mainly-text stories. I just remember the Phantom series!

Many thanks!

philcom55

Re: Unidentified 1960s comic, story series

Post by philcom55 »

As far as I'm aware the only British story papers that lasted into the 1960s were DC Thomson's Adventure, Wizard, and finally Rover. I must admit that I was always more interested in the strip-oriented comics that took over the field during that period but hopefully someone like Phoenix will be able to identify the storyline you're thinking of.

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Unidentified 1960s comic, story series

Post by Phoenix »

Unfortunately, I don't recall this serial. I've also consulted, without success, my reference material for Adventure, The Wizard, The Rover, The Victor and The Hornet for the early sixties in search of a title that might suggest a link with the story or plot outlined by philclark.

I might have missed it but it is, of course, quite possible that it isn't a Thomson tale at all. Under the circumstances, it could well be helpful if philclark can recall more details about other memorable stories of that time as this might get us to the right publisher, and from there to the right comic and then the right year.