Top Slammer (aka. Pro Slammer)

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Top Slammer (aka. Pro Slammer)

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

In 1995, when all the kids were into pogs, naturally a magazine would be made about them too. As far as I know, Top Slammer (as it was called) only made it to two issues, and even the second issue was renamed as Pro Slammer.

In both of these issues, there's a double-paged comic strip about Slammin' Sam. Here's the first page of the first comic:

Looks a tiny bit like Mr. Stringer's work, but with no credits in the magazine I'm not sure. Thoughts?
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

swirlythingy

Re: Top Slammer (aka. Pro Slammer)

Post by swirlythingy »

Regardless of who drew it, I'd definitely say that kid bears more than a passing resemblance to Danny of the Bash Street Kids!
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Looks a tiny bit like Mr. Stringer's work, but with no credits in the magazine I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Not mine, but going by the lettering style and other touches I'd say it was the work of Graham Hey (editor/contributor to Spit! and C'Mon Ref).

Jon

Post by Jon »

Do you own these magazines, TwoHeadedBoy? Any chance of a front cover scan?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

swirlythingy wrote:Regardless of who drew it, I'd definitely say that kid bears more than a passing resemblance to Danny of the Bash Street Kids!
Yeah, and Swotty Cedric looks like Erbert, although he's actually a Cuthbert Cringeworthy expy in terms of characterisation.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Jon wrote:Do you own these magazines, TwoHeadedBoy? Any chance of a front cover scan?
Yep, I've got both of them - I'll do a cover scan either tomorrow morning or tomorrow evening.

Thinking about those Spit! comics, they DO seem similar to these - I'll look at them side-by-side when I get back to my place. Never heard of C'Mon Ref, mind - might have to look into those.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Here are the covers for both of the issues...

Issue 1 (Top Slammer):

Issue 2 (Pro Slammer):

Jon

Post by Jon »

Pricey at £1.99! Looks really interesting. Certainly never seen one of them before.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

That takes me back, I had the first issue as a kid. It was amazing how much mileage they got out of such a simple subject. Mind you I remember the interview with the "world champion" being rather long, and a lot of photos, to pad pages out.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Jon wrote:Pricey at £1.99! Looks really interesting. Certainly never seen one of them before.
Well if there's anything specific you'd like to see from the covers, let me know and I'll scan them in :)