Lion Annual 1958

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DEI99

Lion Annual 1958

Post by DEI99 »

Hi, friends

My name is Luis R Gonzalez and I live in Spain. Surfing the net I came across the cover of the British comic “Lion” Annual 1958. It reminded me of a later image (attached) related to the UMMO affair, something I have been investigating for years (see: http://magonia.haaan.com/2009/ummo/).

What I need to know is: does the cover illustration relates to any story inside the comic book? If yes, I would need a scan of that story or at least learn more details about it. Can you help me?

I am very interested in British SF comic stories in the late 40s and early 50s and the imaginery of aliens in those stories. Would you be interested enough to answer a couple of questions?

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Lion Annual 1958

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I have the Lion annual 1957 and the cover illustration is nearly identical to a frame in the Captain Condor story from inside the book.

So it wouldn't be surprising if the 1958 annual's image is based on a story from inside the annual.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Yes. The 1958 annual has another illustration taken from the Captain Condor strip...
http://punkadiddle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/ ... -1958.html
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

DEI99

Post by DEI99 »

Thanks.

Keeping to Lion Annuals, I have another piece of information I would like to check. It is the following:

LION ANNUAL 1956 - Another story from the pen of Cliff Hooper was Flying Saucer Over Africa and starred Danny Malloy, a young cameraman, who had gone to the African jungle with his two friends Ted and Mr Zaka to film the rare white rhino. But during their hunt for the rhinos they discovered that the ruins of an ancient jungle city were being used by a scientist named Buloff who, with the aid of flying saucers, had the crazy idea of trying to become ruler of the world. It transpired that Buloff was the assistant to Professor Synton and got anxious to use the professors inventions for his own gains and imprisoned the Prof. The inventions were death-ray guns and flying saucers and although Buloff attempted to conquer the world, he had a bit of trouble with trying to overcome a cameraman and his assistants.

Is that correct? An image would be wonderful.

LuisR

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

No sign of it in the 1956 Annual I'm afraid! Maybe it was in '55 or '57? (I'll check for you when I get chance)

- Phil Rushton

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Try 55...I've checked the others, but I don't have the earlier one.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

DEI99

Post by DEI99 »

My fault.

My source: http://moonlighter-the-lion-annual.synt ... comics.php
only dated the story to 1956, not specifically to the Annual. I suppose it was in several issues of the weekly? "Lion". If anybody can tell me exactly which (or where to look it up) would be wonderful.

Now for a different question/comic:

Paul Power and his Speed Shell (Art & Script: Colin Merritt)
In its second adventure, he fights a Martian invasion. The adventures appeared in Chips (Amalgamated Press)

Can anybody confirm this item? If you can tell me in which issues, or even provide an image of those Martians, I would be very glad.

Regards

LuisR

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

According to Steve Holland's Lion Index 'Flying Saucers Over Africa' ran in the weekly comic from September 3rd 1955 (no.185) to April 21st 1956 (no.218). Though credited to Cliff Hooper the author's real name was A.W. Henderson.

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

DEI99 wrote:Paul Power and his Speed Shell (Art & Script: Colin Merritt)
In its second adventure, he fights a Martian invasion. The adventures appeared in Chips (Amalgamated Press)

Can anybody confirm this item? If you can tell me in which issues, or even provide an image of those Martians, I would be very glad.
I'm not sure of the start and finish dates but the earliest episode of 'The Menace from Mars' I have is in Chips no.2947 (August 23rd 1952) while the latest is no.2975 (April 11th 1953). Here's an example from no.2948:

As you can see, the martians are more-or-less humanoid (though the 'Plastic Men of Syrena' look pretty cool!).

- Phil Rushton