New Comic - Crumbs!

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain Storm

New Comic - Crumbs!

Post by Captain Storm »

Had this posted in the General section , but it illicited zero responses. It would be a crime if this site wasn't visited seeing as how much we bang on about new comics. This is my text from that post :

" Don't know if this has been mentioned here before , but no harm in mentioning it again. Steve Beckett from the Dandy has set about creating a new online comic called Crumbs. Written and drawn in ye olde style - i.e. 60s / 70s - it is already a classic! And if I saw this on the newsstands I would snap it up immediately. He has eveything down to a tee , even yellowed pages! And that can't be a bad thing ( chortle! ) Here's the link , tell 'im the Cap sent ya! http://sjbeckettdesign.wordpress.com/crumbs-comic/

The Cap.

...Now who says British comics are dead , eh?
"

Now this has to be cause for celebration!

Captain Storm

Re: New Comic - Crumbs!

Post by Captain Storm »

I've posted this in 2 major sections and it still hasn't garnered one response. Absolutely incredible! And very worrying at the same time! This is just what we all hankered after and now that the very seeds of it are being planted , we choose to virtually ignore it! For once I am speechless! And that's saying a lot!

The Cap.

p.s. I have to repeat it it , I'm speechless - not one single response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've already seen it and it is great...a nice 70's Buster feel..
I think some of us caught the news at facebook..also two blogs have mentioned it..sorry I should have said I've seen it..

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Peter,

Jeez. I thought I was alone here! Yeah , a few blogs have mentioned it. Just worried that it is not recieving the same kudos here. In fact the silence is deafening. And I am quite annoyed at that. Many folks here have gone on and on about comics like they used to be. Beckett has gone and done just that. Yet what should be a fanfare is just absolute complete silence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :censored:

The Cap.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Storm wrote:Many folks here have gone on and on about comics like they used to be. Beckett has gone and done just that. Yet what should be a fanfare is just absolute complete silence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had a look at it, Cap, but I'm not sure what sort of reaction you are expecting. There is really very little to comment on at this early, developmental stage. Three strips a comic do not make. I can't discern any direction the comic might be taking, the strips are OK but are hardly world-shattering. I will be interested to see how it develops so it may well be a good idea if you were to remind us every so often, say when another few strips appear on line. A propos your anger, is it possible that you are too close to the project and therefore you are expecting everybody else to be instantly as enthusiastic. May I quote my late father who often said to me, Derek, you really must learn to temper your enthusiasm with restraint.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Oscar Wilde once said : " The only thing worse than bad publicity , is no publicity " Hi , Phoenix. To begin , I have absolutely no involvement with this project. I am merely promoting it. For years now , members of this forum have discussed how good comics used to be and wouldn't it be great if it could be the same again. Steve Beckett has gone and created 3 brand new strips with offers from interested outside parties to contribute more. In effect , he is a creator / editor in the making. I know 3 strips do not a comic make , but to honest , many comics in the past had perhaps one or two killer strips and the rest was filler and ads. I'm just saying that this project is the closest I've seen in a long time to anything resembling a good comic. And we should be giving it our full support and backing. Otherwise what have we been talking about for the last 10 years.

The Cap.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Captain Storm wrote:Hi , Phoenix. To begin , I have absolutely no involvement with this project. I am merely promoting it.
Well, the fact that you are promoting the project, Cap, does mean that you are involved, not on the creative side, I accept that, but you obviously feel that the project requires you to promote and publicise it, which you are clearly doing, even if you are doing it all off your own bat.

I'm sure, by the way, that our forum members will become increasingly enthusiastic with each future strip as it appears. However, I do wish to reassert the point I made earlier that reminders are required because as they say, Out of sight, out of mind.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Ho Phoenix,

I'll be sure to keep the reminders coming :wink: People are always on about how good comics used to be and this is clearly the closest thing I've seen in a long time. So I'll keep pushing it. Because it deserves it.

The Cap.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

As an addendum ,

People here wax lyrical about how they wish it could be like the old days - comics or text papers , yet when they appear , albeit in a home cottage type , they are not even discussed. Starscape has gone out of his way to address this. Yet the pick up has been minimal. Steve Beckett has what I can only describe as gone into a time machine and reproduced that which we so fondly remember! Yet instead of the avalanche of responses we are met with infinite silence. So folks , are we just nostalgia nuts or do we really believe in what we are saying?

The Cap.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Well, as has been said, there's not very much there to talk about at the moment! Are we supposed to post just to make the reply numbers go up?

Anyway, I love Dave Growl, I was planning to do a comedy rock strip myself once, only with a great deal of swearing. The other two I can take or leave, Ratman could have mileage too - a kid friendly version of Brown Bottle?

Now, if only Spaceship Away had decided to not stay sci fi only, back in the day...

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Just to show there's interest - I very much enjoyed the Crumbs strips, hope that more appear very soon, and would dearly love a print version (wishful thinking on the latter, but maybe if the site is regularly updated a "best of" hard copy wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility?)