Help needed finding two comic strips - aliens/ egypt related

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Nickboi42

Help needed finding two comic strips - aliens/ egypt related

Post by Nickboi42 »

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with my search for two comics I vaguely remember.
I believe that the two strips were featured in annuals, one I’m pretty certain was in a Dandy annual from the late 1990s the other was featured in an annual, maybe Nutty from the 1980s. This is what I can remember about each story.

The first story concerns a small seaport.
There is a giant spherical meteor that sits in the town, which has a brass plaque on it. A second meteor crashes into the sea carrying with it an alien/ god called I think Loki. This creature is green, has webbed hands and feet, is rotund in appearance. The creature gets sick from pollution being pumped into the sea from a recently opened factory, so he decides to block the polluting pipe with the spherical meteor.

The second story concerns the British Museum and mummies.
It features a young boy and a young girl and their grandfather who is a professor at the museum/ discovered the mummy. It turns out the mummy is an alien, called I believe Prince Adam.
He is shot twice by the police, but in the nick of time other Egyptian god aliens rescue him and restore him to full health. His appearance on doing so is like that of the silver surfer. The story ends with the young boy and girl and their grandfather travelling off into space with the aliens.

Any help that anyone can provide with tracking these two comic strips down will be most appreciated.
N

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Help needed finding two comic strips - aliens/ egypt rel

Post by felneymike »

Ooh I do think I remember the second one, it was definitely a 90's annual, and probably a Dandy one (they had a short period of featuring adventure stories in the annuals). I'd further narrow the range down to 1996 - 1999.. unfortunately my brother got the Dandy annuals, so they've probably all been binned.

Nickboi42

Post by Nickboi42 »

From what I can remember the story with the seaport concerns Jonah the Sailor…did he happen to turn into a monster at all? Pull on his earing and he transforms?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Egypt story was definitely from a Dandy Book.

Nickboi42

Post by Nickboi42 »

So I have been able to confirm now that one of the stories is from the Dandy Book 1998 and was titled 'Jonah in Free Loki"
So I think I have been able to narrow down the years in which the egyptian alien story might have taken place - 1997,1999,2001,2003,2004…any help with identifying which one, much appreciated.

Nick

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Pretty sure it was the 90's, by 2001 my brother and me had most likely stopped getting annuals at Christmas.

I can remember being really annoyed that the story didn't continue! (of course, at the time I was only very vaguely aware that there had once been comics where such stories appeared every week!). The Dandy annuals of the late 90's did have a bit of a "run" of adventure stories. There was another one with a vampire (I think a girl thinks the vampire is her uncle dressed up to scare her, but actually he was in another room). There was also one about a giant plant that doesn't stop growing, even though it's being bombed by the RAF.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

felneymike wrote:There was also one about a giant plant that doesn't stop growing, even though it's being bombed by the RAF.
That sounds suspiciously like The Monster In Hyde Park, the story of the Demon Chola, a fast-growing cactus from the Arizona desert that can only be killed by some caterpillars that are only to be found in the Peruvian Andes. The serial was in The Wizard in 1952.