School-Days comic for girls by Amalgamated Press 1928

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

School-Days comic for girls by Amalgamated Press 1928

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've just acquired a bound volume of the first 12 issues of the above "New paper for schoolgirls" from 1928 and I can't seem to find much information on the web. Does anyone know anything about the comic? How long did it run for?

The only thing I could find was on Compal from 8 and 15 years ago saying:

British Summer 2007 School-Days (1929-30) 36-87 In two bound volumes with rare free gifts; 3 coloured plates of Christopher Robin and Winnie The Pooh by E H Shepherd. File copies [fn/vfn] (52) Winning Bid incl. 10% Buyers Premium: £221

British Summer 2002 School-Days 1 (1928) Am. Press. A New Paper for Schoolgirls [fr] Winning Bid: £36

I've already had a flick through and the free gifts were pictures of HRH Prince of Wales or flowers painted by Lady Patricia Ramsay and there's loads advice on how to make your party dress look more pretty!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: School-Days comic for girls by Amalgamated Press 1928

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Does anyone know anything about the comic? How long did it run for?
According to Old Boys Books - A Complete Catalogue by Lofts and Adley, Adam, School-Days ended with issue 131 (May 2 1931), at which point it was amalgamated into The Schoolgirl. I have quite a few issues of this title, which started out with quite a bit of emphasis on different sports for girls, including lacrosse, hockey, rugby, even fencing and tug of war. Later issues more or less dumped the sport, replacing it with handy home hints, wise and sensible advice by Auntie Amy, and more fiction. The front cover also underwent a makeover. See below.
Attachments
Schooldays18.jpg
Schooldays78.jpg
Schoolgirl180.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Does anyone know anything about the comic? How long did it run for?
According to Old Boys Books - A Complete Catalogue by Lofts and Adley, Adam, School-Days ended with issue 131 (May 2 1931), at which point it was amalgamated into The Schoolgirl. I have quite a few issues of this title, which started out with quite a bit of emphasis on different sports for girls, including lacrosse, hockey, rugby, even fencing and tug of war. Later issues more or less dumped the sport, replacing it with handy home hints, wise and sensible advice by Auntie Amy, and more fiction. The front cover also underwent a makeover. See below.

Thanks for that. Very useful and another book I need to add to my 'want' list!

Wasn't Schoolgirl the comic that had Billy Bunter's sister in it? Betty or Bessie Bunter I think. I have no idea where I know that from!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Thanks for that. Very useful and another book I need to add to my 'want' list!

Wasn't Schoolgirl the comic that had Billy Bunter's sister in it? Betty or Bessie Bunter I think. I have no idea where I know that from!

I've just bought the book on Ebay

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

http://www.friardale.co.uk/Schoolgirl/Schoolgirl.htm
There is info on Schoolgirl and the girls of Morcove School here. Oddly, no mention of School Days.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Wasn't Schoolgirl the comic that had Billy Bunter's sister in it?
Yes.
Adam Eterno wrote:I have no idea where I know that from!
Well, Adam, perhaps it was from the third cover I posted yesterday, where all will have been revealed when you enlarged the image.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Wasn't Schoolgirl the comic that had Billy Bunter's sister in it?
Yes.
Adam Eterno wrote:I have no idea where I know that from!
Well, Adam, perhaps it was from the third cover I posted yesterday, where all will have been revealed when you enlarged the image.

Ha! I didn't open the 3rd image.....that'll teach me!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Is this a comic or a story paper? How much of the material was text / prose stories, and how much was a comic with various panels and dialogue with speech balloons and the like? I'm looking at information about this and about Schoolgirls Own and I'm not really getting much clarity on this point. Any further information anyone can give?
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

They were text story papers, Jenni.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:They were text story papers, Jenni.
Thanks for the clarification, Derek.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.