Captain Britain 1973

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

fatboydale

Captain Britain 1973

Post by fatboydale »

This is the 1973 Captain Britain by IPC , this was a secret comic and one of the earliest attempts of a British superheroes type comic , the artwork was Eric Bradbury ( which wasn't very good ) this was the editorial dummy copy for Doug Church and was put together by Kev O'Neill , within it was many new strips , all of which found new hew homes in other comics in the early 70's ...

Most don't even know of the existence of this title with only a few bits on the internet regarding Captain Britain but here it is .. i also own most of the original artwork as well .

Raven

Re: Captain Britain 1973

Post by Raven »

Wow! Thanks for posting.

So Captain Britain would have had fifteen page instalments - and in full colour? That sounds like an attempt to imitate U.S. monthly imports - though perhaps they were looking into a superhero weekly after The Mighty World of Marvel seemed to be doing well, and it looked like a clutch of further UK Marvel weeklies would be on the horizon.

Do you know who wrote the story, and does the character have an interesting origin?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's absolutely fascinating Dale: a real treasure - I'd love to see some of the original art. Personally I've always been quite a fan of Eric Bradbury and, while I can see traces of his style in that CB strip, it looks to me as though he might have had 'help' from a less talented hand (either that or he just wasn't trying!). The cover, meanwhile looks as though a young Dave Gibbons was involved somewhere along the line.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

More on this project at Dez Skinn's website

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

There is a lengthy piece on this in the Captain Britain Omnibus published by Marvel some years ago.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Does anybody know if Jesus Blasco's Nightcomer strip ever turned up in another comic? The funny thing about that first page is the eponymous narrator (looking rather like Cursitor Doom) seems to have been added by Eric Bradbury.

fatboydale

Post by fatboydale »

I can't really add more info than what is on Dez Skinn's site , apart from i have almost everything , mock covers /Logo's ect and all the original artwork , which there is a lot of including a complete issue 2 ...

The Nightcomers was reused for the IPC Scream comic in the 80's , even the page in CB1 draw by Jesus Blasco and written by Tom Tully was reused 13 years later , but Drawn by Dave Gibbons for a Scream special 1986 .