BRIGHT & SMART

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

Post by Old Forum Fella »

check it. http://www.livejournal.com/users/hellhathnofurry/

Originally posted by Brian on the old forum on 17/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

Are we talking Steve Bright of Bananaman fame?

Originally posted by EBay Whizzer on the old forum on 17/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

And Jamie Smart of My Own Genie fame, yes. But don't take my word for it. It tells you on the site if you scroll to the beginning.

Originally posted by Brian on the old forum on 17/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

Self promotion - It'll work wonders eh? I always think it's more of a compliment to have someone other than the creators bleat on about how good something is. BRIAN? GENIE-US?? Bear is excellent though.

Originally posted by Bear face on the old forum on 17/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

If only you were right. I?d love to be Jamie Smart. He does fantastic work and loves to involve his fans through his blog sites. If you want to call that self-promotion that?s up to you, I?d rather look at it as giving something back, and actively engaging with your audience. You might also argue that all forums are about self-promotion in some way, whether it?s showing off our knowledge of the subject or expressing our views and opinions, including yours. There?s nothing wrong with that. If you take a good look at this new blog site you?ll see that there are plenty of other people than the creators bleating out compliments. Or are those people just the creators using assumed names perhaps? I thought it would be cool to share this new website with people who would be interested in seeing how a comic can develop. I should know better. I hope your petty suspicions and snide accusations don?t put off the few artists brave enough to openly post on this forum for fear that they will be accused of blatant self-promotion. At least we can agree about Bear.

Originally posted by Brian on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

I like Steves Bananaman when he fills a page......loved the tea break one with appleman robbing in the background....Steve can really draw buildings and muscles!!

Bought myself an A2 pad.....going to try drawing for the comics.......Steve you use a A2 pad do you have a A2 A3 scanner..or do you split up the drawing in bits..I have a A4 scanner:(....maybe a shop can scan it for you?

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

Peter, A2 is very large for this kind of drawing. Most of our artists draw 50% up, so A3 would be big enough and it's easier to split up for scanning (2 scans instead of 4). Of course, you could always get a high-quality reduction photocopy to A4 size and then scan it.

Originally posted by Helpful on the old forum on 19/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

Yes 50% up is the norm. Decades ago pages were drawn twice up (100% bigger than published size). Anyone know when that changed? I'm guessing it was sometime in the early to mid Seventies?

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 19/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

14 by 17 inch pads work well Peter. you can fit a page, one and a half times up on that.

Originally posted by An artist on the old forum on 19/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

Thanks Steve..Lew and helpful and artist.....

I'm going to draw Brain D. for consideration the The Dandy....Steve has told me A3 scanners are about ?75 and told me the make he uses....I'm surprised some of you draw a whole page on A3..though Jack Edward Oliver draws actual size......Amazing...:)

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 20/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BRIGHT & SMART

At 50% up my pages for Egmont (Tom Thug, Team Toxic etc) have always been larger than A3 because the published size is bigger than A4. My last few Viz pages were drawn twice up because I wanted them to have the same look as old comics. Personally, I think twice up looks better when it's reduced to published size but the big disadvantage is it takes longer to draw of course.

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 20/1/2006