Commando Collectors Swapmeet/Fair

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Commando Collectors Swapmeet/Fair

Post by colcool007 »

A free event is being organised by one of my fellow fans of the picture libraries.

This is at the Harriet Higgins Community Centre, Newcastle under Lyme. So if you have a bucket load of doubles you want to shift, then this could be the event for you.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Re: Commando Collectors Swapmeet/Fair

Post by philcom55 »

As that's virtually on my doorstep I might well give it a look. Thanks for the heads-up Colin.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Sadly too far for me but let's hope this inaugural event goes well so there will be plenty more.

If anyone is interested, there will be other picture libraries and comics available. To be honest, I think any UK comic would be welcome.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Just got back from this. I was late arriving as I had to attend another mart in Stoke-on-Trent this morning but the event seems to have been quite a success; so much so that Andy is already hoping to repeat it in about six months time. While I guess it's not going to worry any of the big convention organizers I found it to be a thoroughly pleasant little affair in which all the dealers were genuine enthusiasts of Commando and the various other war Picture Libraries. What's more I also picked up a number of 'proper' comics including a pile of late 1960s Eagles, some earlyish Victors and the rather obscure Jag Football Special - all at bargain prices. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:Just got back from this. I was late arriving as I had to attend another mart in Stoke-on-Trent this morning but the event seems to have been quite a success; so much so that Andy is already hoping to repeat it in about six months time. While I guess it's not going to worry any of the big convention organizers I found it to be a thoroughly pleasant little affair in which all the dealers were genuine enthusiasts of Commando and the various other war Picture Libraries. What's more I also picked up a number of 'proper' comics including a pile of late 1960s Eagles, some earlyish Victors and the rather obscure Jag Football Special - all at bargain prices. :)
Just chatting with Andy now. Sounds like everyone had a great time. I may have to get into gear for a Scottish version.
And see if I can persuade some people local to me to bring some stuff...

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I wonder if there's some way of setting up a kind of internet 'conference call' so people can attend and buy/swap stuff without being there in person.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:I wonder if there's some way of setting up a kind of internet 'conference call' so people can attend and buy/swap stuff without being there in person.
I think it's called Skype. :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

OK, the second Commando Comic Swapmeet has been organised for 17th March 2018 for the same location. I have managed to line up quite a few doubles to take so I am quite looking forward to this event.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself and managed to fill over 100 gaps.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I am now organising the next one for 29th and 30th September 2018 in Lochore, Fife.

It will be a case of come one come all as there will be loads of British comics for sale.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

2 days!

Good effort Col!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

starscape

Post by starscape »

Why not call it 'British Comics Fair' then? I, for one, wouldn't even bother reading something so niche as Commando if I saw that advertised but would be well up for Brit-comics.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

I reckon you advertise it as a 'Commando' fair to those folk and 'British comics' to those folk - might be tricky but good if you can swing it!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

starscape wrote:Why not call it 'British Comics Fair' then? I, for one, wouldn't even bother reading something so niche as Commando if I saw that advertised but would be well up for Brit-comics.
To be honest Chris, our main focus is Commando and other picture libraries but as this is only the third event, we are only beginning to realise how many of us have other comics to swap. For example, you would not believe how many annuals we had, plus I brought some comic reference books.

The focus is specifically British comics as none of us are really that much into lycra and by calling it Commando gives it an identity that while it might put some off, it will encourage others. After all, how many events since the Bristol Expos of the 2000s have you seen even more than one box of British comics?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

So the first poster is ready for the third minimart and thanks to your feedback, it will be a British Comics Minimart. The link is to the poster which I think is a stunning homage to the British picture libraries.

The main details are:

Dates: 29th and 30th September 2018
Times: 12 to 5pm
Entry: £1
U-16s: Free

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Here is the poster for the event. I hope to see some of you there.
Attachments
Final Final Final Pester Poster reduced.jpg