London Mart - 16th Oct.

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

London Mart - 16th Oct.

Post by paw broon »

Anyone going to this mart? I'm sure I can get there this time, so, if anyone fancies a chat (or wants to avoid me), please let me know.

stevezodiac

Re: London Mart - 16th Oct.

Post by stevezodiac »

I go to it every month and this time it is on the same day as an ephemera fair across the road. If you fancy a chat you can recognise me easily - I'll be wearing a granite sombrero and carrying a bamboo saxaphone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

What an imaginative avoidance strategy! So that's you told, Paw! :lol:

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

"Oi only arsked"
Yes, I found an episode of The Army Game. Very funny it was too, just like the replies. I'll obviously be in kilt and sporran, carrying tin and silk bagpipes.
Thanks for the bit about the ephemera fair. I'd heard there was also a pulp fair on same day. Are they by any chance related?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Is it at Alexandra Palace?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Never heard of the pulp fair. The ephemera fair has lots of old newspapers and magazines - tons of books. Most of the customers are in their late 90s apart from me. But they are a civilised bunch - a taste of old English gentility. Ken Graham has comics on his stand and lots of film stuff. Its at the Doubletree Hotel 92 Southampton Row and it opens at 11am so you have a full hour of browsing before the comic fair opens. Its £2 admission though!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Sounds good. I think the bloke who told me about it has got his wires crossed. I'll consult my bus map to figure out how to get there.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

If you look at my earlier post in this thread "Comic Fair-British Comics!" posted on 22 February 2009 you'll see I have scanned in a flyer which has a map and list of bus routes.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thank you. I actually have been at this venue a number of times for marts and cons. It was the Southampton Row one I had to look up. I really fancy this now - 2 shows in one day and I get to visit comic shops on Saturday.

NP

Post by NP »

For anyone still puzzled, the Doubletree hotel Bloomsbury is what used to be known as the Park Inn Bloomsbury and, until about 2008, the Bonnington. It's on Southampton Row right opposite Bloomsbury Place which leads to Great Russell street, the home of the British Musuem and one-time home of GOSH comic and book shop, and very near the Cartoon Musuem.

But I'm not 90.

(What's up with Google maps? It shows Sourthampton row as NORTHampton row and the British Museum is flagged as being on Euston Road where the British LIBRARY is. Some " " humourous " " trolling going on I suspect).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Looks like the wife and I will pop down. So beware of the motability scooter (!) as that is the wife and the short chunky one looking resigned will be I. Hope to bump into you guys tomorrow.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

I'll be around too... 8)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Will you be wearing shades?

We'll all be studying everyone closely and wondering - is that a fellow forum member?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Looking at the pain that is getting on the tube with a motability scooter, I am going to cheat and drive in, which means we will probably get there about two hours early! And as I said in an earlier post, look for the scooter or a well-endowed woman with a walking stick and a very resigned husband and you will find me and Valeera! :D

The extra clue will be a resigned husband clutching a large bag of DCT comics! :P

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Well I won't be there, so you can all save yourselves the bother of wondering which is me. I'm put off by the sheer weirdness of the clientele. I could just about cope with the fellow wearing the granite sombrero, it's the guy who is married to a motability scooter that scares me. If this is what happens to you when you read comics all the time, I'm going to box mine up and build a brick wall in front of them.