London Mart - 16th Oct.

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: London Mart - 16th Oct.

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:Well I won't be there, so you can all save yourselves the bother of wondering which is me. I'm put off by the sheer weirdness of the clientele. I could just about cope with the fellow wearing the granite sombrero, it's the guy who is married to a motability scooter that scares me. If this is what happens to you when you read comics all the time, I'm going to box mine up and build a brick wall in front of them.
And the chance of you doing that is zero diminishing to zero divided by infinity. Look forward to seeing you again. :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

This Sunday is another double event as the ephemera fair is right opposite the comic fair at the Holiday Inn in Coram Street. Doors open at 11am so an hour of browsing before the comic mart opens at noon.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There was supposed to be a mart on 1st. April 2012 at the National (see Showmaster's forum) but the ads now don't list it. Anyone know what's going on? A pal has booked his train only to find no mart. Are there any other marts in or near London then? Or is he stuck with a tour round the shops? He's an American comics fan.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

According to the Comic Mart website the next one is 4th March then 29th April. I googled "Comic Mart London" if that's any help.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks for your help. I'll now try to direct him to 30th. Century; Mega City; Gosh and any others I can find.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

30th Century is practically in the countryside. Nice part of the world though for someone like me who lives in Bermondsey SE London. Perhaps he could take in the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green and the Cartoon Museum. The former is free entry.

Plus a nice plate of pie and mash with a large dollop of liquor to tell the folks back home about. (When he recovers).

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Wee John loves pie 'n' mash. Me, I prefer jellied eels and I noticed many of the pics you posted were of jellied eel establishments - and of course, liquor.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Most pie and mash shops also do jellied eels - the two go hand in hand but eels are in short supply nowadays. Funnily enough there was this item in tonight's London Evening Standard. The couple's girths are testament to years of eating this beautiful, if calorific, delicacy. Look at that gorgeous green liquor - mwah!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

paw broon wrote:There was supposed to be a mart on 1st. April 2012 at the National (see Showmaster's forum) but the ads now don't list it. Anyone know what's going on? A pal has booked his train only to find no mart. Are there any other marts in or near London then? Or is he stuck with a tour round the shops? He's an American comics fan.
Confusingly April 1st 2012 is still listed in the 'Things to Do' section of Paul Gravett's website. :?

http://www.paulgravett.com/index.php/ev ... t_listings

Could this be some kind of April Fool's joke???

- Phil Rushton

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, it's all a bit odd as it's still listed on the organiser's forum as well. I sent an email but, no reply. A bad taste joke?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Paw Broon is your mate still committed to travelling to London on April 1st? There is an ephemera fair on that day which I will be attending. Printed collectibles but not many comics but I always find something of interest (box of about 200 original cartoons a few months back). Here's a cut and paste from the ephemera society website:

Sundays · 1 April · 2 September · 4 November

Doubletree by Hilton
92 Southampton Row
London WC1B 4BH
United Kingdom
All are welcome. Admission £2 11.00 - 16.00
Members from 10am with membership cards

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks for the info. But Wee John has somehow managed to wangle a change of train ticket, despite having bought a no change/no cancellation ticket. Don't ask - I didn't. So he'll get to the next mart. He's not a big fan of ephemera and British comics. I can't afford a trip to London right now, which is disappointing as the London mart is so good. As you'll see from the Glasgow marts post, we'll now be entertained by that. It's not a patch on London, in fact it's tiny by comparison but I meet folk I seldom see elsewhere and it's good to have a chat and with any luck the uni. will open the cafe this time.