Did Anyone attend the Bristol Comic Expo yesterday?

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Stingray

Did Anyone attend the Bristol Comic Expo yesterday?

Post by Stingray »

Nope... Just me then!!!!
Ha ha.. What a plank. For some reason, even though it's plain as day on the website I still managed to think the comic expo was this weekend?!?
I live in Bristol so not too bad but still... Was up at 6am, getting all our stock ready, flask (at Kapow we were gasping for tea most of the day as it's a pain to keep getting up, so decided on a flask this time) of tea and sandwiches, and then piled into a taxi at 7:30 - Myself, a large bag full of books and supplies, and a rucksack with more books and pens.
Arrived there and a bit puzzled by lack of folk or any adverts but then it wasn't even 8am yet, and most dealers probably set up on the Friday, and putting up posters would be pretty quick - bit odd though. There's usually at least one Stormtrooper milling about and gangs of 3 kids with Batman comics.. Anyhoo, I clattered up and down the cobbles for a bit, dragging that large case behine me. Still nothing and all doors locked. Then the cafe next door opened and a guy who seemed a bit oblivious to all things comics said there was a back entrance behind Temple Meads and that may be a good bet, so off I clattered through more arches. NOTHING.
Stumbled back down the road to the Ramada Hotel who would surely know something, and again no posters? What the!?!? I spoke to the reception and said I think there is a comic expo on this weekend, and she said 'Yes'! Which gave me some comfort, but upon returning from the back room she said all the Expo sales team were away till Tuesday. So I said I'd just wander back over to The Brunel again and see if anyone had turned up. More clattering about up the pavements and still nothing. So just started hanging about... Tried phoning the venue but a message said everyone was away till Tuesday.

AND THEN I spotted Lew Stringer walking up the road!!! HALLELUJAH!!! Well, we've never met but he looked exactly like the photo, and he was walking behind another prime candidate for comic dealer... So, I just started following them toward the station, as MAYBE I'd got the venue location wrong. There was a large queue of folk to the right of the station.. Could it be?!?
NOPE.. Lew Stringer wasn't Lew Stringer after all. 'New Lew' turned out just to be another passenger getting on a train.... Darn.

Almost 9am now and finally managed to contact my girlfriend and have her go online (my phone just about manages texting so couldn't check from where I was - Where's an iphone when you need one) so she could confirm my worst fears (and have some chuckles)... Hey ho..
Dragged myself into another taxi and pootled off home to enjoy my flask of tea and read a comic..

On the plus side my bags are already packed ready for next weekend.
:roll:
Andy

philcom55

Re: Did Anyone attend the Bristol Comic Expo yesterday?

Post by philcom55 »

As our old caretaker said to me many years ago when I arrived back at school a day early after the summer holidays..."There's always one!" :)

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I remember Smiffy making that mistake a couple of times. Once he arrived at school at 9pm instead of 9am, another time, it was Saturday.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I once woke up, saw the clock read 8 o clock and walked to job -----yes, that's right, it was 8 PM ['twas summertime].