MCM; Collectormania; Panopticon, Glasgow

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

MCM; Collectormania; Panopticon, Glasgow

Post by paw broon »

3 events in Glasgow coming up:-
Collectormania Glasgow at the Braehead Arena. Info. here:-
http://www.collectormaniaglasgow.co.uk/

Then
MEMORABILIA & SCOTLAND COMIC CON
The SECC
7th September 2013
http://www.glasgowvant.com/comic-con-scotland/

Which is the same day as the comic mart at the Britannia Panopticon in the city centre:-
http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/comicmart.html

Lots to do and I hope to bump into some of you at one or other of the events.

davidandrewsimpson

Re: MCM; Collectormania; Panopticon, Glasgow

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

I shall be in town on the 7th. Is Memorabilia likely to be worth £6.00 to someone who only wants to root about among weird and wonderful old comics, or should I not bother?

The whole cosplay/celebrity signings/TV and Movies thing doesn't do it for me.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Like you, the whole cosplay/celebrity signings/TV and Movies thing doesn't do it for me, either but I do enjoy the company - there are a few of us who meet up, chat, drink coffee at these cons, and occasionally someone suggests food. There are sometimes old, non-American comics them but you never know what you'll find till the day.
The mart at the Panopticon, which is free, usually has some British stuff, but, again, you never know till you're there and this time, with the big one at SECC, there might be some dealers at that and not at Panopticon.
I suppose, for some of us, it's more a social outing. In the past, at Panopticon and Braehead, I have picked up Radio Fun, DCT titles, Pocket Libraries etc. but a lot of it is autographs, screen stills, toys and the like.
Hope to see you at one of them.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The celebrity thing is only worth it if it is someone you really, really want to meet. But for most of them, it leaves me cold.

I like having a look at the cosplay to see how well people have done. But, then again, you get some sights that once seen, they are NEVER forgotten. For example, some of our more ample fans donning a cat-suit can mentally scar you! :shock:

More than likely, I will be at the comic fair. It is worth it for a good blether if nothing else. Any other takers?

There is also Toy And Comic Mart in Edinburgh on 28 Sep 13 for anyone that is interested.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Collectormania at Braehead was unbelievably busy on Saturday with queues stretching through the mall. Any fears that there wouldn't be many comics (or British comics) were quickly dispelled as I saw Skippers, Wizards, Radio fun, Film Fun, a pile of Beano and Dandy from the '70's, Pocket libraries, some annuals, Action, Topper, Battle and lots more. Also, a couple of dealers with nice American comics for sale, incl. Batman # 1. I didn't bother, I mean, what would you do with it? It was slabbed!
For those who thought about turning up, and didn't, I think you might have enjoyed yourselves as there was a lot of excellent chat and I met some well remembered faces from years ago. And Wee John bought me my lunch. I would suggest that some of you might not want to miss either of the next 2 events - the Panopticon free market and the Memeorabilia Fair at the SECC. both on 7th Sept. You can do both, it's easy to get to SECC on the train from the Panopticon.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

I missed the Collectormania event I'm afraid - from the press ads it seemed to be more of a TV/Movie event, looks like it was my loss - Will definitely try to get to the Memeorabilia fair though - had no idea there was a regular monthly event in the city centre thanks for that info (probably wont have time to attend both even although they are pretty close to each other but will check that one out later.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Mr McScotty

The comic marts at the Britannia Panopticon in Glasgow are four times a year, rather than monthly. https://www.facebook.com/ComicMart lists their marts this year; presumably that'll be updated in a few months to give the 2014 schedule.

http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/events.html shows what's coming up at the Britannia, including marts; the Britannia is the world's oldest surviving music hall, and wel worth a visit in its own right.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

Thanks for that info David and the links, I will make sure I pop in to the Sept mart not been to a comic mart in many a year

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

paw broon wrote:Collectormania at Braehead was unbelievably busy on Saturday with queues stretching through the mall. Any fears that there wouldn't be many comics (or British comics) were quickly dispelled as I saw Skippers, Wizards, Radio fun, Film Fun, a pile of Beano and Dandy from the '70's, Pocket libraries, some annuals, Action, Topper, Battle and lots more. Also, a couple of dealers with nice American comics for sale, incl. Batman # 1. I didn't bother, I mean, what would you do with it? It was slabbed!
For those who thought about turning up, and didn't, I think you might have enjoyed yourselves as there was a lot of excellent chat and I met some well remembered faces from years ago. And Wee John bought me my lunch. I would suggest that some of you might not want to miss either of the next 2 events - the Panopticon free market and the Memeorabilia Fair at the SECC. both on 7th Sept. You can do both, it's easy to get to SECC on the train from the Panopticon.
If that was wee John McShane, tell him it's long past time he bought me my lunch. No wonder I'm wasting away to the size of an elephant.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

'Fraid not. Wee John McShane, we call, "McShane". Wee John is yet another John. There are a lot of them about and there has to be some way to differentiate them. I didn't see McShane at Braehead but he might well turn up at Panopticon. If you know McShane, there is a fair chance we have bumped into each other. Now wouldn't that be 8) ?
Bear in mind that, apart from the attraction of comics, the Panopticon is right next door to McDonalds (not that one) the bakers, who do the best bacon rolls in Glasgow. And the coffee is excellent. 4 trains an hour from Argyle St. station to SECC if you want to take in both events.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

paw broon wrote:'Fraid not. Wee John McShane, we call, "McShane". Wee John is yet another John. There are a lot of them about and there has to be some way to differentiate them. I didn't see McShane at Braehead but he might well turn up at Panopticon. If you know McShane, there is a fair chance we have bumped into each other. Now wouldn't that be 8) ?
Bear in mind that, apart from the attraction of comics, the Panopticon is right next door to McDonalds (not that one) the bakers, who do the best bacon rolls in Glasgow. And the coffee is excellent. 4 trains an hour from Argyle St. station to SECC if you want to take in both events.
If your initials are S.M., then we have indeed 'bumped into one another'. If not, then maybe yes or maybe no.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Well done. That's me, I think. (If this were a smiley, it would say, "Scratching my Head".) :wink:
The "Kid" is confusing me, but then, I 'm easily confused.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

paw broon wrote:Well done. That's me, I think. (If this were a smiley, it would say, "Scratching my Head".) :wink:
The "Kid" is confusing me, but then, I 'm easily confused.
Regarding the name, this link explains it: http://kidr77.blogspot.com/2011/09/what ... ikely.html

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks for that. Confused, me? Not any longer, GIR. Nice to "bump into" you again, Kid.
If you're the size of an ephulant, your pic. needs updating. :)

If some of you find your way to the Panopticon, wear a carnation, or a label, so we can work out who's who. I usually need a nametag so I know who I am, else someone has to tell me. Senior moments ,eh? :roll:

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

paw broon wrote:Thanks for that. Confused, me? Not any longer, GIR. Nice to "bump into" you again, Kid.
If you're the size of an ephulant, your pic. needs updating. :)

If some of you find your way to the Panopticon, wear a carnation, or a label, so we can work out who's who. I usually need a nametag so I know who I am, else someone has to tell me. Senior moments ,eh? :roll:

Re the elephant remark, Paw - merely self-deprecating hyperbole on account of a double hernia I'm waiting to get seen to.