Dundee Comics Day

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Dundee Comics Day

Post by colcool007 »

For those that like a wee bit of the banter with their comics. Dundee Comics Day will be a must see. The guest list is astounding and has me booking my tickets as we speak...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Re: Dundee Comics Day

Post by starscape »

Aaaaagggghhhh!!!!! The day before I move back! A chance to meet my fave artist too in Ian Kennedy. Unbelievable!
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Crumbling cookies spring to mind.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

A little bit too far for me, though that is very tempting.

Not walking to Dundee again. Did that once. Very bad idea...

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Now you have to tell us the rest of the story. Given that there are piles of buses and a major train station, I assume something went seriously wrong. :shock: Dundee's o.k., with a comic shop as well as the Comics Day. It's on the short list for City of Culture.
Fats Domino did a version, " Walkin' to New Orleans", but perhaps that's a bit more glamourous. :)

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

paw broon wrote:Now you have to tell us the rest of the story. Given that there are piles of buses and a major train station, I assume something went seriously wrong. :shock:
When things go wrong, them seem to go wrong in epic ways. The buses stop running past a certain point, at the trains are hit and miss. I got myself to Perth with little problem - to try and get to as many book shops as I could - but got myself turned around. Still didn't manage to get half of what I wanted done (there is a collection of pre-war records in Perth which aren't available in digital format yet, and I STILL haven't found some of the names from that).
paw broon wrote:Dundee's o.k., with a comic shop as well as the Comics Day. It's on the short list for City of Culture.
Fats Domino did a version, " Walkin' to New Orleans", but perhaps that's a bit more glamourous. :)
Dundee has always struck me as being similar to Edinburgh in many ways - still, a very cold place... Some interesting shops, but a shadow of what it was a decade ago. :(

I was actually in Falkirk about a year or so ago - rumours of a couple of very scarce books that I still have on the list. Another thing which didn't work out (and yes - that is usually the way things go... everything gets planned out, and then one thing after another gets screwed up, while I do my very best to retain a degree of composure)

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Don't start me on the delights of Falkirk. Although Antonio's is a good cafe and I can sit there for ages with a good coffee and a scone and read the paper.
But Dundee still has a coffee roaster who also has a great selection of teas. It's been a while since I was in Dundee but I found the public library a great place for research on DCT and the staff were very helpful.
Actually Falkirk has some good things going for it.
You all know there is a good wee comic shop in Stirling?

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

paw broon wrote:Don't start me on the delights of Falkirk.
I have - or had, not sure about that - family there.
paw broon wrote:It's been a while since I was in Dundee but I found the public library a great place for research on DCT and the staff were very helpful.
The rest of the history - the Leng connection, and a few bits related to C.A.P. in Glasgow - are probably still in the library as well. There's a lot which hasn't been properly presented in context, and sorting out what is and isn't relevant is a nightmare.
paw broon wrote:Actually Falkirk has some good things going for it.
You all know there is a good wee comic shop in Stirling?
I do like Falkirk, but it is so far that getting there poses problems, especially at the moment.

And no. Didn't know about a comic shop in Stirling. :o

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Last time I was in Dundee, it was to appear on the Summer Discovery programme. Euan Kerr and Morris Heggie (Beano and Dandy editors) were also present. There's a story there which I'll have to tell one day.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Bigwords, the shop is Banjaxx Comics and it's in the Stirling Arcade, 2 minutes from the railway station and not much more from the bus station. Small, as in really small, but perfectly formed. You wont find British comics, or much old stuff for that matter, but there's a good atmosphere and Dave operates a standing order system, so if you hear about a title you fancy, he'll order it for you. And before anyone complains, I am not on commission, but I do buy my comics there. :D

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

paw broon wrote:Bigwords, the shop is Banjaxx Comics and it's in the Stirling Arcade, 2 minutes from the railway station and not much more from the bus station.
It is refreshing to hear about shops that I didn't know about. Kinda a "things aren't that bad" feeling.
paw broon wrote:You wont find British comics, or much old stuff for that matter,
No use to me. I have to fill in gaps for pre-1960s titles (and pre-1860s ones, for that matter).

Amazingly, I just found another comic shop - well, more of a stall, really - which I didn't know about, and only about five miles walk from me...

They are breeding. :lol:

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

So where is this comic shop/stall? You've got me intrigued.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Keeping the thread off-topic... (apologies to all)

Kirkcaldy - in the indoor market waaaay along the end of the high street. Not impressive, but at least it is a comic-book presence in the town after the closure of the Kingdom place, which was more about the gaming end of things anyways.

I also noticed that in some Dunfermline charity shops have, over the last few months, been selling a LOT of trades and comics - someone must have given up their collection... I was picking up late-90s collections for a quid each, which I hadn't bothered with when they were coming out. Some newer stuff as well.

Maybe it is time to put together a list of all the comic shops, and gaming shops which sell comics as well, so people can actually find these places... :wink: (and no, not volunteering on that - I have enough to be getting on with)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

He only does modern US stuff. I had a look about three weeks ago. Nice enough, but not my kind of thing.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

I'll be there

Worth travelling up from London to see Ian Kennedy
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/