Arbroath Library Exhibition

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Arbroath Library Exhibition

Post by colcool007 »

For those that have visited, you will be treated to a great display of a selection of DCT's archive. I was good and did not take a single thing except for photographs. But I was SO tempted.

There will be a pictorial article on DTT later.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Arbroath Library Exhibition

Post by Phoenix »

Oh you are a tease, Colin! What is in the exhibition, and how long is it on for? Just give me several good reasons why I should fill up my tank. I think the only display that might rank as an exhibition that I have ever seen in But and Ben country is Burns's cottage in Alloway. The Arbroath exhibition will need to be awesome to be better than that.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And here is my article with my meagre supply of pictures.

I did mention it on DTT before it opened, but obviously my comments passed many by. I am very grateful to Calum Laird for producing a fantastic item and only hope that if some of the art needs a home that he remembers me. :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:I did mention it on DTT before it opened, but obviously my comments passed many by.
Well that isn't all that surprising is it, Col, when you post your information on some obscure website or forum called DTT? I don't even know what the initials stand for, never mind where it is! And the exhibition closes tomorrow. Isn't your informative post on our forum therefore just a wee bit late in the day? The only plus that I can see is that I will be saving a lot of money on petrol.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:I did mention it on DTT before it opened, but obviously my comments passed many by.
Well that isn't all that surprising is it, Col, when you post your information on some obscure website or forum called DTT? I don't even know what the initials stand for, never mind where it is! And the exhibition closes tomorrow. Isn't your informative post on our forum therefore just a wee bit late in the day? The only plus that I can see is that I will be saving a lot of money on petrol.
Down The Tubes is the main online source of UK comics news Derek. Hardly obscure. Colin gave you the link in his comment to the relevant page but for future reference here's a link to the DTT home page: http://downthetubes.net/

Perhaps the event should have been plugged on this forum earlier. However to be fair most comic events that I and others have mentioned here have generally received a poor response on this forum for some reason. Just take a look at the other postings in this 'Conventions and other events' section for example. Some have no replies at all, even when John Freeman of DTT provided a link to a calendar of all the comic events taking place this year. (If anyone missed it, here it is again: http://www.localendar.com/public/downthetubes)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Down The Tubes is the main online source of UK comics news Derek. Hardly obscure.
As far as the obscurity factor is concerned, Lew, as I have never heard the term DTT used before, it was obscure to me. What's more, if any other member had been in my situation and had chosen to do a forum search for it, they would also have been just as wise afterwards as they were before they started because the answer thrown up was No Suitable Matches Found. I accept that no doubt most members will have known exactly what Colin was referring to, even I've heard of Down The Tubes, although I can't recall ever visiting it. But as I have no interest in any new comics I would never have thought of it as a resource. As I'm sure is well known on this forum, my interest is only in the story papers for boys and girls produced by Thomsons between 1921 and 2001. All others from the same or any other period would be merely reference material. I have no explanation for exactly why I got caught up in the enthusiastic response to The Phoenix a couple of years back, but I did manage to bale out after issue 8, and in the near future I will be putting those first eight mint-condition issues on eBay, mint in its true sense because I never read any of them except issue 1, and that very carefully.

Thank you for the links you posted. Now at least I know where to go for the information they provide.