Not receiving topic reply notifications

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Audiate

Not receiving topic reply notifications

Post by Audiate »

Hello there
I'm subscribed to a thread and for a few days of activity, I'll receive topic reply notifications (sent to my personal email)... and then they'll stop, even though there are replies being posted to the thread.
This happened for the first time a couple weeks ago, and when I posted another reply, I started receiving the notifications again... and then after a few days they stopped again.
Do we only receive a certain number of notifications after our own posting?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Not receiving topic reply notifications

Post by AndyB »

This is something I'm not sure about, but I'd be fairly sure you only get notified up to a certain point, maybe even only once, before it'll stop notifications until you go and read the thread.

Audiate

Post by Audiate »

I'm surprised, because in other forums I belong to, I'll continue to recieve notifications for a subscribed thread until I unsubscribe.
Is there any way to change this, so that I can stay subscribed?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Surely, Audiate, the problem would not arise at all if you read the new post when you are informed of its existence in your email. If AndyB is right that you are only alerted once, it doesn't actually matter anyway because when you do access the thread you will be able to read all the rest. I am receiving emails regarding the same thread all the time. Unfortunately, because I delete the email alert immediately, I cannot say whether I receive several before I access the first, largely I must admit because I have never paid attention to the matter. However, now that I know what your problem is, I will stop deleting the alerts and I'll get back to you soon with my findings.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Ask someone else to try it - subscribe to a topic you know is popular and compare notes on notifications. I've never tried it, to be absolutely honest.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

phoenix4ever wrote:However, now that I know what your problem is, I will stop deleting the alerts and I'll get back to you soon with my findings.
We do get multiple email alerts, Audiate. I have had three separate email alerts this evening regarding the Alternate Perceptions thread. I did not access or delete any of them. They came in at 18.33, 22.18 and 23.16. They do match the relevant posts but arrived well after the posts themselves were created, something I must admit I have noticed on a number of previous occasions.