Comics UK - Moving Home

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Al
Sir!

Re: Comics UK - Moving Home

Post by Al »

There was a problem with some of the Forum styles not having all their associated files installed, which I've rectified.

However the 'case sensitive URL' issue on Chrome browsers is still a problem and one which my new hosting company deny any responsibility for. They say that the problem lies with the coding, even though there was never a problem when the site was hosted by the previous company.

But hey-ho, I shall persevere and try to find a solution.

Al

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's easily fixed, but the host change IS to blame - it seems your old host was on Windows and the new one is on UNIX.

The solution is here. You need to change the F in Forum to lower case, then add the code at the bottom to a custom 404 page. http://www.infocellar.com/networks/inte ... sitive.htm

The code actually came from here, but infocellar goes into more detail about the problem.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Thanks Digi. Although there is a place for customised 404 page fixes, it's not the way I like to resolve a problem like this. I believe the problem lies elsewhere.

My previous hosting company, 1&1, most definitely used Linux servers for my website and not Windows. That was the main reason why I lost most of the website last time.

I have fixed the problem with the Chrome browser but it's completely illogical. I've changed an id value on the Annuals dropdown link from id="Annuals1" to id="Annuals1X". This would suggest that this value gets altered elsewhere, but it doesn't! It will do for now and I hope it holds up, but I will be giving it a thorough testing over the weekend.

As for the next planned update (earlier post), it's still work in (slow) progress. Some pages have been written though and all the other sections and ideas are still contained in a writing pad. I'm currently working on another project at the moment, along with overseeing the building of my house extension (which has entered its fourth month now - yeah, don't ask). I will endevour to ensure that all folder and file names will be in lowercase though :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just noticed when I click on gallery I get "server not found". But I don't think my Christmas Beano covers will be there anyway. Must be three months since i sent them.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, the link has a capital G when it should be lower case. Loading Bay, Feedback and Links have the same problem. The forum has the opposite problem - Forum works and forum gives the same error message.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I see it's been fixed. :D

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Thanks for the heads-up on these. I believe that all the site links now work. Am still having a bit of a to-do with some of the thumbnails though.

Al

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The only problem with switching to a lower-case 'f' is that anybody googling 'Comics UK Forum' is now being directed to the 'site not found' message. :?

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That will correct itself the next time the Googlebot pays us a visit.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

I've now put in place a temporary piece of code that changes the capital 'F' to a lowercase 'f' upon entering the Forum section.