Les Pretend is back

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Les Pretend is back

Post by Peter Gray »

Though it was great.......look forward to seeing more of her work in The Beano...
loved thending with the zappp! and the mouse dressed up...also the boy with the sign round his neck....dalek
The Beano needs more like this......original...fun silly work...Dennis the Menace in Rome was great...loved the feathers..

Nice one...Laura
Hope you get more pages......like Billy Whizz...the reprints are annoying..
Though like Fred's Bed and Hoot squad

LauraH

Les Pretend is back

Post by LauraH »

Why thank you Peter, I admit I had a lot of fun with it... I don't have any more Leses to work on at the moment, but I hope the editor will lob some my way in the future. The rodent's actually Herman from Ratz, but it's hard to see at such a small size. We have a Ratz story coming up next month which concerns his entry into the Dalek competition, so watch out for that too!

(By the way, if you do want to see more of my work, be sure to get next week's Beano - I'm saying nothing more :wink: )

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Les Pretend is back

Post by felneymike »

Is Techno the robot still about?

Oddly, on the way into uni the other day an old Les Pretend story where he was Napoleon popped into my head, the teacher was talking about Waterloo and he pipes up "Eet was a feex! i demand a rematch!"

Peter Gray

Les Pretend is back by Laura H

Post by Peter Gray »

[img:550:736]http://itsamouse.com/gas/LauraHowell/im ... nded02.gif[/img]

Its great seeing this on your website...looks very funny..

Guessing she was grounded so acted like she was grounded...
then ends on the celling not grounded...

love Minnies snakes body...and Chester the cat in action...run rabbits run..very extreem man

Anyway are you the first women comic artist for The Beano...
What other women cartoonists for DC Thomson have there been...

Your work is very inspiring and now my favourite of The Beano...
Reading your blog you also note The Beano going up in price But due to less reprints...which I agree is well worth it...more Les Pretends would be great..

If you got time check out my cartoons at my website
http://www.pgcartoons.co.uk
my humour is fun, surreal and clever.

[img:394:479]http://uk.geocities.com/pjgcartoons/Bal ... isenet.jpg[/img]

LauraH

Les Pretend is back

Post by LauraH »

Inspiring? Well I'm not sure about that, but thanks Peter, lots of nice stuff on your site too. Puts me in mind in some respects of Peter Maddocks - is he an influence or is it just my imagination?

I think I recall the ed saying that the Beano's had the odd female artist from agencies doing pages here and there in the past, but no regular "on-staff" ones... although if any of the comic historian-type people on these boards can tell me any different, please do!

I'd love to get a crack at another Minnie, but I don't think it'll happen - I really blew that one in terms of what Alan wanted (you deduced the story correctly though, so at least it works from a storytelling POV ^_^). If it entertains a few people who visit my site, that's better than nothing...

Peter Gray

Les Pretend is back

Post by Peter Gray »

A bit like you my influance are all over the place..I like Family Ness etc..
I think my biggest one has to be the Mr Men...the colour...bold line...expressions...arms out stretched
Terry Bave for all his little animals he put everywhere I do that...
The Surrealness from Betty Boop...the fire jokes I do are inspired from the cartoon of the fire running around...

My Dad is a cartoonist and graphic designer though I draw nothing like him..used to draw comics together..I draw one page he drew another...called the comic Bonzo ...I drew as a kid the Mustard Street kids...
:)

Rolf's book on how to draw cartoons was very good....what I got from that mostly is the action is more important than a standing drawn detailed drawing which looks boring...

so there is some...

AndyB
Throgmorton

Les Pretend is back

Post by AndyB »

I don't remember any regular female artists in the Beano before Laura, but I'm open to correction :)

Peter Gray

Les Pretend is back

Post by Peter Gray »

Tales of Johnny Bean-

nice environmental warped message this week....that will confuse the kids :lol:
sooo cruel that its funny..putting the price of the wood up at the end was class...
:lol:

Peter Gray

Les Pretend is back

Post by Peter Gray »

he he he
You got your Minnie in the comic after all..now I can read it...

still love the distorted body of Minnie crawling around... :lol:

LauraH

Les Pretend is back

Post by LauraH »

Yeah, doesn't look too bad... enjoy this week's Beano, I'll likely never get five whole pages in there again! :D

Peter Gray

Laura H

Post by Peter Gray »

another fancy dress... :)

and the kid who doesn't bother much with the costume is it the same boy as last time :lol:

I do like your jokes in the background...like potato head man...and the rabbits attacking carrot boy...

Today's Beano-
Liked the telly references to Newsround 35 years and Strictly come dancing.........you can bet The Beano will celebrate there 70th next year in a big way.....if they even celebrate Newrounds birthday.....also funny that Minnie as a baby has red and black striped jumper showing there has been a change...
anyway good Beano this week...

LauraH

Les Pretend is back

Post by LauraH »

Well spotted Peter...

I will be using the "No-effort Kid", as I have unofficially dubbed him, in as many future strips as possible.

Nice element of irony in this story too, as pumpkins are also technically fruits. Take that, swot ;)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Les Pretend is back

Post by felneymike »

First Beano i have bought since 1998 XD (got one for free at Bristol earlier this year), it seems bigger than i remember, has two Bash Street stories... and less ads too XD

When did Minnie's clothes change colour anyway? when they did the recent re-vamp or further back than that?

LauraH

Les Pretend is back

Post by LauraH »

A little longer ago than that, I think - about seven or eight weeks. It's reproducing the colour scheme she's wearing on the front of an annual from the sixties (about 64/65 I think?) Not sure what the logic was behind it - I'm wondering if it's just to give her a more different visual identity from Dennis and Bea... there's only so many main characters you can have in black stripes, after all!

Peter Gray

Les Pretend is back

Post by Peter Gray »