Beano comic librarys chat

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Beano comic librarys chat

Post by Digifiend »

Well they launched in 1997, so the reprints would've started about five years ago, 2005. When they run out in 2013, I would hope that they start colourising some comic libraries, which by then won't have seen the light of day for at least 16 years. But I wouldn't be surprised if they simply stop publication. I can't see them reverting to all new material, sadly.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I seem to remember hearing that the Fun-Sizes went fully reprint around 2006 - before then I think they were half-reprint, half-new. Unfortunately I don't know when they first started using reprinted material.

When old strips are reprinted in the comic itself, they're never in the order they were originally printed, but I'm not sure if this is the case for the Fun-Sizes, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They seem to be in order from what I've seen, but I don't buy them nowadays because I usually have the originals.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The reprints will last longer than 2013. They were originally published at the rate of two each of the Beano and Dandy every month.

I can't see them going back to new material now. They're produced by the Classics from the Comics team.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Fun-Sizes used to be two issues of each title a month, now it's one a fortnight of each title, so we actually get 26 issues each of Fun-Size Beano and Fun-Size Dandy each year instead of 24 like we used to. My calculation was slightly off because I forgot that they phased in the reprints, but still, they won't last much longer than what I said. As I said, I would prefer that they start colourising comic libraries at that point rather than looping the Fun-Sizes yet again, or worse, folding outright, when that happens.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I agree that it would be fantastic to recycle the Comic Libraries, but that would involve losing the puzzle features, which they may feel would be undesirable.

Not all of the old Fun Size stories have been used either, I don't think.