Hunt Emerson new artist on Fred's Bed

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Hunt Emerson new artist on Fred's Bed

Post by Digifiend »

Actually Ratz was signed "HE" and "Laura H" - Laura only inked it, it's a Hunt Emerson one. Freddie Fear was in, and that's the same artist as BB. So either Freddie was a holdover, and is about to be axed, or you're right and Dave Eastbury was only on hols. However, I find it strange that the football school storyline was axed after only three parts. They find out they're going, they arrive, then they left! Waste of a storyline really. Also, when Dave has been unavailable before, BB was either drawn by Tom Paterson or absent.

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Sorry Digi, Peter is correct about Ratz - all of them from here on in are drawn entirely by me. I add Hunt's initials purely as a nod to the fact that it remains more-or-less in his style.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Well I finally picked up my first Beano in about 18 months/2 years for Hunts work. I have to say what a pleasant surprise - if I was a kid I would be a mega Beano fan based on this issue (I'm afraid that previous issues I have bought I have felt the Beano was very very poor bar a couple of artists strips) but some fantastic strips and artwork here (I cant comment of the stories as they are aimed for kids I didnt find them that funny sorry) and nice colours, paper and printing . Hunts work was amazing, Lew Stringers Super School was a total joy for me as an old fanboy (if I was a kid that would have been a favourite by a mile Ilove Super Heros and this was good) but the real find, for me was in Ken Harrison's work on Minnie the Minx - 3 wonderful strips. I was also very taken by Ratz and the 2 Dennis the Meanace strips (the great Tom Patterson doing one of them, is he new to Dennis? ) - the only sore point for me was Lord Snooty the 3rd??? when did that happen? what a rotten character (IMHO) based on a classic and one of my all time UK favs (ok I know he needs a new image for young kids to releate to but this was bland to me - the character not the art) - But overall a real pleasure to read - The Beano is def in very good hands I may even get next weeks.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tom's been doing Dennis for a couple of years now. Originally he rotated with Nigel Parkinson and Jimmy Hansen, but since last year most weeks he has a strip at the back of the comic. If he doesn't, then Gnasher and Gnipper usually appears. On one occasion (xmas) a David Parkins reprint was used.

Re: Snooty - originally this was a spoilt rich kid character created for the 70th birthday. The spy thing has started very recently, it's only his second spy mission in fact.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

LauraH wrote:Sorry Digi, Peter is correct about Ratz - all of them from here on in are drawn entirely by me. I add Hunt's initials purely as a nod to the fact that it remains more-or-less in his style.
:oops: Well you sure had me fooled Laura! My apologies. I don't think anyone's ever done that before. Better update Wikipedia... done. You're now credited as "current/last artist".

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Fred's Bed is the best thing in The Beano..with Super School..
nice to see imagination running wild..Fleetway were great at this type of strip...breaking down the norm...also gives writers something new to write..

Loving the freshness of it..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Loved seeing the future in Fred's Bed..love the huge thumbs!!!
also fun the Dennis the Menace future..bit bleak that there will be no trees and plants.. :(

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, nice touch that both Hunt Emerson (Fred's Bed) and Jimmy Hansen (Dennis's main strip) both featured a future Dennis in the same issue! :lol: Coincidence or deliberate?