Reader request idea...posters like World-wide Weirdies...

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Reader request idea...posters like World-wide Weirdies...

Post by Peter Gray »

I think The Beano should get Tom Paterson back to drawing crazy stuff...

How about a reader writing in a suggestion and Tom draws it..

Buster Imagine posters by Terry Bave were great an of course Ken Reids Wanted posters etc..

Tom's talents are wonderful..

Jonny Whizz

Re: Reader request idea...posters like World-wide Weirdies...

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Tam is a cracking artist who's been doing great work for years in a number of different comics. His strips have featured a number of little jokes in the background and plenty of detail to see, not to mention his trademark smelly sock! I think his best work was probably on Calamity James in the late-80s/early-90s - those strips were filled with funny details. Your idea reminded me a bit of Joe King; Bob Dewar's artwork for that really made it fun, and I'm sure Tam could do the same sort of thing.

I once heard that Tam used to write his own scripts. Does anyone know anything else about this?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Raven

Post by Raven »

Jonny Whizz wrote:
I once heard that Tam used to write his own scripts. Does anyone know anything else about this?

I think he generally had scripts supplied, but he may have written some of his own, too. I know scripts were supplied for some of his series.

I think the Tom Paterson stuff that appeared in the 'Oh No' dummy issue may have been all his own work.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

It would be interesting to see a full list of all the artists who have written their own scripts. I think Mike Pearse, Kev F, Jamie Smart and Gary Northfield all write their own stories - is there anyone else? (or wrote in Mike's case - I haven't seen any new work from him since 2006)
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes you have - Space Cadets, the title strip of the 2009 Bash Street Kids annual.

And you can add Laura Howell (Ratz) to that list.