Beano Videos and DVDs

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Freddy

Re: Beano Videos and DVDs

Post by Old Freddy »

I reckon, that Dennis series from the late 1980's was claymation. Before somebody said that they remember some claymation Dennis clips, I was imagining Dennis & Gnasher as little glove puppets like Sooty! :lol:
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

It's not hard to imagine a Dennis the Menace puppet show; after all, one of the best remembered free gifts was a Dennis the Menace glove puppet which featured in the story of the issue it came with (Dennis also had a 'special Walter the Softy puppet unsuitable for Beano readers'). :lol:
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

I do recall a Gnasher glove puppet, and a dennis the menace episode where Dennis & Gnasher are fed up with a soft version of punch and judy being made by walter, so they sneak into the tent they use their own puppets (of themselves) or something like that. I'm not sure if it was to do with a free gift or not, since it's from a DTM annual.

Navigation altered

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It was a reprint talking about real free gifts - and I think the glove puppets were used more than once.

Those were the days!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=513Xucy6 ... re=related

The Beano Rap - apparently taken from a Beano DVD of some sort. Beano Videostars most likely, as it features Billy Whizz (in his then newly-introduced thunderbolt tracksuit) and a scene from the 1994 Bash Street publicity stunt (specifically the kids destroying the robot teacher at the academy). Videostars must've been released in 1995.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

The Beano Rap is from the Beano Videostars, 1994 :)
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Same year? That means the Bash Street scene must've been one of the last things added to the script. Must've had tight deadlines, no wonder they don't make that kind of thing nowadays.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Well, the 40th anniversairy special was in February, and Videostars was released in October (I've got a load of Beanos from 1994, and on the week of the video's release there was an episode of Dennis & Gnasher in the beano which sort of advertised the product. It was the halloween issue and it showed a shot of the aliens in the last frame)

Navigation altered

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:cheers: Thanks for the dates - that's about a year before I started my collection, although I have the February 94 issue you refer to as my brother had the odd issue. I remember seeing adverts for both videos in 1995-1998. Then of course the DVDs were advertised along with other Beano Shop merchandise (including the Dennis 1996-1998 series DVDs) more recently.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Also, the "Gimme an M" part of the Beano rap is actually a signal from an issue of the Beano around 1985 where Dennis tells the readers how to show people that you're a menace, and he "stands up straight with his elbows in the air". it is referred to as "The Dreaded 'M' for menace sign" and the story was reprinted in the Dennis book 1998.

Navigation altered

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

This is quite an old thread now, but I was thinking about this the other day...

Are there any other annual stories that you'd like to see become episodes for any 'Beano DVD'? I'll start - I'd like to see the Billy Whizz from the 1994 Beano book, or Roger the Dodger from the 1993 Beano book turned into episodes. If you've got the annuals, you'll know which stories I'm talking about. The latter would be particularly good, as Roger hasn't appeared as a proper cartoon.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

This is an even older thread now, but i saw this on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beano-Anniversa ... roduct_top
Im assuming its just episodes of the Dennis TV series, Bannaman and the Beano videos but onto one dvd but is it any better than that? does anyone here have that DVD. Cos the first Dennis TV series isn't fully on DVD (the first 4 episodes are and someothers are on video) and i was wondering whether this contained some of the missing ones because i dont think CBBC repeats the old series anymore and i want to watch some of those older episodes which i have fond memories of (i think the TV series may have helped get me into the Beano in the firstplace).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That box art looks like Nigel Parkinson artwork.

Anyway, it includes both Beano Videos, the Bananaman boxset, and whatever Dennis and Gnasher had previously been released - I don't know how many episodes (it's more than four though, as there's more than one DVD). As far as I know, nothing is exclusive except the boxart.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Old Freddy wrote:"
I wouldn't mind seeing a Dandy DVD to be honest, mind you i'd like characters like Bully beef & Chips, Winker Watson and Smasher.
there is a dandy dvd of sorts if you want to count the bananaman complete series which i must get soon as its only £7 in hmv now,its probably not as good as i remember though.My local poundland had the beano allstars dvd which i did buy but it will prob never be watched as i have 100's dvds still sealed just crying out to be watched but there just isnt enough hours in the day :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:I can remember (being of the right age when they came out) being a bit dissapointed with the Beano Video, but liking Videostars a lot more.

I do very vaguely remember seeing mere seconds of a claymation (Wallace & Gromit style) style Dennis cartoon a very long time ago. Was this the "puppet series" referred to, blurred by time? :lol:

I beleive i did see it on the Childrens Channel. It was in the time when nobody at TCC seemed to care anymore though. They'd be running adverts for a competition that had closed months ago, and there would be 10 minute segments of the channel logo and nothing else. It went off air shortly afterwards.
We FINALLY have info! Take a look at today's Retro 75 entries at beano.com. There was indeed a puppet series on TCC, it aired in 1990, which is eight years before their demise.
http://beano.com/characters/dennis-gnas ... -tv-stars!
http://beano.com/characters/dennis-gnas ... he-scenes!